hf1

Learning

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Learning

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:26 am

How do you know that your children are progressing as they should, or that when they are 16/17 they have learnt what they should have.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Learning

Postby ladybird » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Who is to say what they should or shouldn't have learnt?

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:57 pm

ladybird wrote:Who is to say what they should or shouldn't have learnt?

We are still considering HE but I am so scared of Oscar getting to say 11 or 15, and he further behind than other kids, or maybe not where he should be. Not sure I am explaining myself properly, but at school children are assessed throughout their schooling so you know how they are going on.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Could you not get hold of past test papers for things like SAT and so on. Or is that against the principal of HE. Sorry I dint know too much about HE but I do get what you mean about standards. However as long as they are having a varied education I think you'd be surprised how much classroom distraction can take away. I know I'm going back about 15 years but when I was in my final year at school I was part if a program to teach year 7's & 8's to read. There were children who had got through the schooling system to the age of 12 who couldn't even read.

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:43 pm

ladybird wrote:Who is to say what they should or shouldn't have learnt?

:giggle: when i first read this i thought it said "who is to say we should or shouldnt learn"!! i was going to prattle on about the uneducated kids in my prison :hohoho:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 pm

I know far more about what my children are doing now, they would come home from school and tell me 'nothing' when asked what they were doing.
I know what you're saying though and we work through workbooks regularly so I know where they're at in terms of those. Lots are curriculum connected so I know that they're roughly where they should be. And yes, you can get SATS papers and the like to test them with if you really wanted. Tbh, if they went to school and were a little behind then so what? I bet they've learnt far more about other things than the average child who has been at school for years has. And they will probably know more stuff that will be covered later at school instead - I'm fairly sure Ocean's covered most of the KS2 history curriculum for example, if not more.
Nayan's planning to go back to school next year (his choice) so I guess we'll find out then if we're doing ok or not by him!

Return to Home Education