hf1

DH is stressing about reading and writing.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: DH is stressing about reading and writing.

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Start with book with no words the oxford reading tree books are great, i can't wait to get Biff, Chip and Kipper back into the house.

Kieran isn't academic at all either, he does fine in school but it doesn't interest him, the days they do experiments etc he adores, when I spoke to his teacher recently she said they would bring some of his interests into the classromm, that is they way this damm curriculum of excellence is meant to work !!

It will come though, don't panic

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:42 pm

I have a friend in Oz who started out with a rule in the supermarket to encourage her boys to read...
the rule was 'If you can read it, we can buy it"

Her boys are now excellent readers and she is living to regret the rule :hohoho:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:26 am

Kids normally start school at 5 over here, and even then "writing" lessons seem (from what I can gather) to mostly consist of pen control, so drawing straight lines, wiggly lines, zigzags, doing mazes etc.
She sounds like she's doing great.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:42 am

I don't know if the UK has anything similar, but over here we have Reading Eggs: http://readingeggs.com.au/ Iris loves it; as far as she's concerned, she's playing games. But it actually breaks down reading so she's learning phonics. She enjoys it as an accompaniment to books, as it's helping her to pick out sounds and words in books. It's really adding to her love of reading. (And we just use it as a stand alone thing, we've not bothered with the accompanying workbooks or anything.)

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:48 am

Kirstyh wrote:Start with book with no words the oxford reading tree books are great, i can't wait to get Biff, Chip and Kipper back into the house.

They've just arrived in our house :giggle: they're fab Steph They've got some in Morrisons too :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:33 pm

You can read them free online here: http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/Library/Index/?AgeGroup=2

;)

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:42 pm

Rebekahs_mum wrote:
Kirstyh wrote:Start with book with no words the oxford reading tree books are great, i can't wait to get Biff, Chip and Kipper back into the house.

They've just arrived in our house :giggle: they're fab Steph They've got some in Morrisons too :wink:

See I don't like them - and Martha can't understand why there aren't any words in them.......

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Neither could Isabelle Ruth :lol:

She's actually pretty good when she tries :roll: as I discovered this morning, but she's better at pattern recognition than the phonics lark...

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Neither could Isabelle Ruth :lol:

She's actually pretty good when she tries :roll: as I discovered this morning, but she's better at pattern recognition than the phonics lark...

I suspect she's a bit like Martha in that most stuff comes easily to her. Martha won't try if she's not in the mood and hates struggling with anything, and so doesn't want to try too hard in case she fails. She can read simple phonics already but getting her to have a go is very difficult.

PreviousNext

Return to Home Education