hf1

Sodium Silicate Crystal Gardens - Chemistry!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Sodium Silicate Crystal Gardens - Chemistry!

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:20 pm

Sodium Silicate Crystal Garden:

Caution - best not to get any of this stuff on your skin so be sensible, wear gloves and don't rub your eyes!

So you need:
Sodium Silicate solution 32-40%ish works fine - we bought ours from www.Mistralni.co.uk - This is the solution that fills the jar so get enough to fill your jam-jar or other glass container with a lid...
WEAR GLOVES WHEN HANDLING THIS STUFF!!!

Any transition metal sulphates that you like the colour of... (need to be soluble in water for recrystalisation)
We used:
Copper Sulphate (blue)
Potassium permanganate (purple)
Cobalt Chloride (violet)
Ferrous Sulphate (Iron2sulphate) (light green)

Nickel sulphate would work well for green
Chromates are good nice yellows and reds with those

Middle of the top line of the transition metals on the periodic table basically... (chromium to copper along the periodic table, period 4)

Container - clean Jam jars with a lid work well. If you use plastic you don't know what strength the plastic is so best to avoid it - but you need to be able to put a tight lid on so jam/pickle/etc glass jars work very well here...

Now we found the crystals that we received weren't very large so we needed to do some re-crystalisation with them first but it may work ok just using what you get in the packet... But the bigger the crystal the more effective the result.

(re)Crystalisation: Dissolve a small amount of the crystals in the minimum amount of boiling water. The heat ensures the greatest saturation of reagent to compound (chemical to water)... Put in a large shallow flatish dish to evapourate the water - larger crystals will form as it cools and evapourates... This may take a day or two Maximum... A watch glass is ideal but how many of us have those hanging around ;) A windowsil is the best place to leave this but the weather isn't ideal right now...

Then

Dob some crystals in the bottom of the jar in small SEPERATE piles.

GENTLY pour in some sodium silicate ensuring not to disturb the piles of stuff. We used a basting pippete and dribbled it down the side or put it on the bottom so it gently floated in if that makes sense.
DON'T just pour it in from the container!!!

Put enough in to 3/4 -fill the jar. Put the lid on and enjoy!
It develops over time, ours did very quickly, best results leave alone for 24hrs (take pics as it develops to see how it goes)

Tada enjoy!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Sodium Silicate Crystal Gardens - Chemistry!

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Wow that sounds great! Thanks for sharing Steph!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 am

Sounds fab, DH would love it (he's a chemist) so perhaps I'll ask him to bring some 'ingredients' home from work!

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Would love to have a nosey if you have any pics :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:33 pm

JenKyleKaitlinRoo wrote:Would love to have a nosey if you have any pics :)

@JenKyleKaitlinRoo viewtopic.php?f=32&t=92554 ;)

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
JenKyleKaitlinRoo wrote:Would love to have a nosey if you have any pics :)

@JenKyleKaitlinRoo viewtopic.php?f=32&t=92554 ;)

Ooh that looks brill! I was looking at the crystal growing kit thingys you can buy for ds1 but that looks much more fun :D

Return to Home Education