I took the plunge!

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

I took the plunge!

Postby doobykat » Thu May 17, 2012 8:50 am

And have become a cat fosterer for a local cat rescue charity! :widesmile:
Our first two foster cats arrived last week - a 7 month old, jet black, brother/sister pair.
She's a tiny dot, he's a really live wire :roll: And they're settling in really well :thumbsup:
Off to the vet today for their little ops, then back to ours for a week to recover before going to their new forever home next weekend. We had a couple come over on Tuesday to look at the cats with a view to adopting them & they fell in love almost straight away :love:
Wonder who we'll get after that?! It is kitten season, after all... :lookround:
Last edited by doobykat on Thu May 17, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: I made the plunge!

Postby LynniferT » Thu May 17, 2012 9:08 am

My sister is an RSPCA inspector and is looking after 6 weaning kittens at the moment as there aren't enough foster carers in her patch.

Well done for taking the plunge...i can imagine the only difficult part is saying goodbye if you get too attached to them :wink:

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:19 am

Well done you! :)

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu May 17, 2012 9:19 am

How lovely, I didn't know you could do that.
Just out of interest (nosey :oops: ) do you have any cats or other pets of your own already?

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: I took the plunge!

Postby doobykat » Thu May 17, 2012 9:52 am

We do have pets of our own, yes, 3 cats, 5 chinchillas (who live in the brick outhouse, as it's too warm for them inside the house :roll: ) and a pond full of koi.
Our cats are proving to be very adaptable - although the eldest moggie has always been that way - and tbh, I think it opens up more new home possibilities if you can say that the animal in question gets on with other pets (and small child! :giggle: )

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Thu May 17, 2012 12:40 pm

That's wonderful!
We took in a pair of black kittens (brother and sister) last March as there owners were moving overseas. We also rescued two ragdolls shortly after who were not getting the love and attention they deserved. All 4 are best mates now, most of the time and are truly members of the family :giggle:
I think it's fantastic fostering animals and would love to but DP says "No!"

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu May 17, 2012 1:22 pm

This made me google our local centres, its made me want to adopt or foster cat/s. They have kittens at the moment as well :love: , but oh is not convinced. We have no pets :( , I have always said 4 children is enough for me but now they are all at school/college.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu May 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Give OH a little time, he may yet come round :giggle:
If it's the cost he's worried about, I think most of the rescue centres will reimburse your costs for food & litter etc. as well as mileage costs to/from the vet if you need to go, so if all you can afford to give is a safe roof over the kitty's head, it is still do-able :D
And if it's having tiny kittens underfoot he's worried about, well, there are always older kittens and cats falling on hard times and needing a safe place too :love:

My avatar
DebbieP
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby DebbieP » Thu May 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Well done for doing this! It's a great thing to do and I would love to do it, but DH says no way and I have 2 cats and a dog already who I don't think would take too kindly to another bundle of pets arriving (particularly my oldest cat) :cry:.

I think I would get too attached to them aswell, have always said that if I worked with animals I would take all the ones who needed homes home with me :roll: !

Next

Return to Pets