Cat questions!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Cat questions!

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:57 pm

I've been meaning to post for a while to ask some questions and @sim has reminded me. We put the monthly flea thing on the cat but was thinking about worming as I guess I need to do that. How does it work? Where do you get the meds (tabs, liquid?)? Is there anything else I need to do with him health wise?

Also a toilet question. How often do they pee / wee? He has been accidently left inside overnight a couple of times (usually gets put out - there are outbuildings / rooms he can go into and he has a cosy spot in the bathroom too) and has never had an accident. He did get locked in the bathroom one day for a few hours and apparently did a poo in there (I didn't see it as Josh's GF cleaned it up bless her). I'd like to leave him in on purpose with the under sink cupboard open as I have a feeling we have a little visitor in there and one of the main reasons we want a cat is as a mouser. I think as winter progresses I'll get a litter tray to put in so we dont' have to put him out in the cold but waiting to find one with a top that isn't too expensive (annoyingly the day I bought his first food etc they had one on offer for 6 euros but we didn't let him in when the weather was nice and we first got him as we were getting used to each other and he is more than happy outside when it is warm :giggle: Bless him he was just so thrilled to have a home again (we are pretty sure he was a dumped cat :( ).

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Cat questions!

Postby sim » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:09 pm

I get both flea and worm stuff from the vet as it is stronger (and more effective) than what you can get without prescription). You should have him vaccinated against:
Feline infectious enteritis
Feline herpes virus
Feline calicivirus

You can also get a vaccination against Feline leukaemia virus. I think the RSPCA recommend this for cats that regularly come into contact with others and are outdoor cats as there are risks associate with the vaccine. They have a document here

Ours are indoor cats really (I will let them out but I do worry about the roads!) so we have litter trays inside (2 downstairs and one upstairs - the advice for indoor cats is one per cat plus one extra and having a third stopped the occasional accident one of ours was having at first).

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Re: Cat questions!

Postby girlinleeds » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Has he been neutered? If not getting him done will stop him roaming far and stop to many fights. Ours are all microchipped as well which is worth doing just incase he does wonder.
Our three are all house cats so only get wormed a couple of times a year, same for flea treatment as the vet says they don't need doing monthly, we also spray the house once a year to prevent flea infestation.
We have three litter trays as each cat will only use a particular one and the fourth one never got used, they seem happy with this and we don't have any accidents. Occasionally one gets shut in pips bedroom for hours and they've never poo'd or wee'd in there,although one once got shut in the bathroom and poo'd in the bath xx

Return to Pets