hf1

Changing info on microchip

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Changing info on microchip

Postby bekhi1983 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:43 pm

I adopted Thomas from the RSPCA over 7 years ago, he was already microchipped. They filled in the form and sent it off to have my details put on the database, but other than the microchip number on his adoption certificate I have nothing else, I don't even know what company the chip is registered with. Help, how can I change it or would it be possible/easier to have another inserted, can the vet cancel the old one? Also my surnames changed since the adoption, so its more than one detail change. I'm not so concerned about Shadow, she's booked to be microchipped on the 23rd when she goes to be spayed so I'll just give the vet my up to date details for her registration. I'll probably ring the vet tomorrow and ask them, just need some reassurance, I*'d be devastated if he went missing and couldn't be returned.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Changing info on microchip

Postby Rox » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:48 pm

The microchips are on a national database i think so call your vet and have them give you the number and see if they can help.

Usually on the registration paper there is a tear off bit for change of address, i think you can do it online too tho not sure how that will work if you only have the ID number. I'm sure the receptionist at the vets will know, when i worked at the vets you learnt all kinds of stuff like that as you wont be the first that asked.

Of course... you could just have a new one put in - if the old one is still working (have you had it checked? they can migrate and fail) then they will try to contact both accounts stored so you would get a call anyway.

My dog had to have his done twice as his first one failed after a few years, its routine to check it during vaccinations for this reason x

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 pm

It was still there last year, sounds like it would be easier to have a new one put in and probably quicker than faffing around making phone calls. He's due his vaccinations in 3 weeks so will probably just move them forward and have it all done at once. Thanks for replying, I was just having a random freak out, I will have more over the next two weeks so watch this space :giggle:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 pm

We need to do the same as doggie is stil registered at our old address! The vet who put it in should have the details on their computer also
found this site also
http://www.petchipupdate.com/pet-owners ... etails.asp

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Most pet chip numbers are on one of two databases either identichip (anibase) or petlog. Petrac (above) are another smaller database.

Once you find out which one the chip is registered with. You usually have to apply in writing with a copy of the ownership certificate from the rehoming centre and send a payment to cover administration costs, think it's either £6 or £15 depending on the company.

HTH

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:28 pm

This might help, it's linked to from PetTrac:
http://www.check-a-chip.co.uk/

My avatar
mummy_mi
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mummy_mi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 pm

Same as above really, we used to change ours online or send off the form, your vets will have a number of who to call. But we used to get charged £10 I think it was a few years ago to update details, I'm not even sure how much a new chip is but again your vet even might know the prices to change your info.

I wish chipping were mandatory for large pets xx

Return to Pets