I had to have my cat put to sleep

My avatar
sleepymummy
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

I had to have my cat put to sleep

Postby sleepymummy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 pm

He's gone :cry:
I had to have him put to sleep yesterday and now I cant get a grip and stop crying

Only 4 weeks ago he was fine, then he had a bit of diarrhoea so I took him to the vet who found a little lump in his bowel ran some blood tests which came back normal, we thought it might be cancer, he was put on to meds and antibiotic jags just incase. On Christmas eve he had lost about 1/3 0f his weight because of the constant diarrhoea but the vet was hopeful as the lump hadnt changed or grown. I took him in for a check up on Thursday as he had lost more weight but was eating twice as much we changed his meds and on Sunday he stopped eating, i got an emergency appointment for him on Monday morning and they gave him something to stimulate his appatite and a pain killer as they thought the antibiotics may have caused it but he barely ate a thing on Monday :( Yesterday at 9.30 I took him back and his liver and gall bladder were swollen too, we think the cancer had spread right through him so we had to make the heartbreaking decision to have him put to sleep :cry: I feel so guilty, I must have missed the signs that he was ill, he hasnt been as cuddly since Emily was born and I hadnt made an effort to be with him as much as I should have :(
The vet was lovely and I have taken him to the pet crem to be cremated, I am going in a bit to collect his ashes.

I know he was only a cat but I cant stop cying.
R.I.P. Magic baby I miss you already xxx

My avatar
Lizw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: I had to have my cat put to sleep

Postby Lizw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this - he looks like a really beautiful cat and you must be devastated.
:hug:
Thinking of you

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 pm

:hug: don't be so hard on yourself.Losing a pet is like losing a family member so you are bound to be devaststed.Pets often hide illness well too. :hug:

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

:hug: you shouldn't feel guilty, you did what was best for him, it sounds like it was a very fast and vicious illness. Try to focus on the good memories you had with him :hug:

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

lazylexis wrote::hug: don't be so hard on yourself.Losing a pet is like losing a family member so you are bound to be devaststed.Pets often hide illness well too. :hug:

WSS, Please dont feel guilty, :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:57 pm

So sorry :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:37 pm

What a gorgeous cat. Don't feel bad you did everything you could and animals by nature hide the fact that they are ill. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:48 pm

:cry: Aww he was lovely. So sorry hun :( :hug: :hug:

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 am

I'm so sorry hun. :( :hug: It's so hard losing a pet - they really are part of the family. You cry all you need to. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Next

Return to Pets