Get well vibes needed :(

My avatar
sleepymummy
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Get well vibes needed :(

Postby sleepymummy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Dont know how much more I can take :(
As you know we lost my lovely kitty Magic last week :cry: Well on Thursday/ Friday my pony Bobby went off his haylage and was only eating about 1/2 his usual amount but seemed ok in himself, I monitored it over the weekend but it didnt improve. He was still more than happy to take carrots, apples, turnip etc so I wasn't too concerned. On Monday am I went down to muck out and his bed was clean but he looked ok :-? I rang the vet and asked for an emergency appointment for that day and they came out about 11am. After a full examination including her hand up his bum :puke: she said she was really concerned as his gut was very quiet and there was some weird creamy mucus up there :puke: She thinks there might be something restricting his gut but he is not displaying any colic signs. We ended up having to put a tube up his nose and in to his tummy to get some fluids and electolites in to him. She took bloods and said that she was really really concerned and that we might lose him :cry: I have been giving him tiny amounts of happy hoof and fruit every 4 hours and bute/danalon (anti-inflamatory pain killer) twice a day, he is eating little amounts but its not coming out the other end. I'm so worried about him, the vet contacted the Vet Hospital in Glasgow and Edinburgh and both have said its unlikely that he would be a good candidate for surgery if required because of his age (23 next month) He still hasn't passed any poo so thats been since Sunday. They are coming back at 9am tomorow but I really don't know where we go from here, my vet said he may deteriorate quickly if he has an obstruction and the meds dont clear it.
I am struggling to cope with this, its just too much so soon after Magic. I just need him to get better, ideally I'd like poo in his bed in the morning before the vet arrives ( never thought I'd be praying for a dirty stable :lookround: )
I've had him for 19 years, I cant lose him too

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Get well vibes needed :(

Postby teganplus2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 pm

:hug: :hug: and lots of pony get well vibes being sent your way :( xxx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 am

Aww I hope he starts to pic up

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:21 am

Awwww Laura your poor pony. I hope he wakes up pooey for you :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ponygirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:11 am

Hey I know hes seen the vet but did they suggest a bran mash? Sometimes its enough to get things moving. Also some liquid paraffin?

Am sure these have already been suggested/tried but thought I'd suggest just in case.

Fingers crossed for poo!

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:30 am

Big hugs to you, I am hoping he has had a poo this morning. xx

My avatar
sleepymummy
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby sleepymummy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:45 am

thankyou everyone,
I tried a bran mash and it did nothing. The vet was going to put liquid paraffin in but because of the horrid mucas which is really unusual and not a good sign she rang both the local vet hospitals for advice and both said not to use it :(
They think there may be some thing restricting it from outside, like a fatty lipomas (kind of a benign tumour that dangles on the outside of the gut, most horse over 12 have these and they rarely cause a problem but occaionally they flip over the gut and restrict it eventually twisting it closed almost :( ) Just hoping its better news this morning :pray:

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:47 am

:hug: Liquid paraffin always worked with my old boy, he it colic quite a lot so I know how horrid this waiting game is :( Sending massive hugs and have got my FC he picks up soon. Keep us posted :hug: :hug:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 am

Sending lots of get well thoughts :hug:

Next

Return to Pets