hf1

Cat help.Update pg 3 . x

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Cat help.Update pg 3 . x

Postby scarlet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Our Cat is acting very oddly and we think she may have a urine infection/constipation.
Do you give your cat dry cat food ? Have been reading online and found lots of people saying its really bad for them.
She has wet food but we also always leave dry cat food out for her incase she is peckish. Should we not be giving her the dry food?
Last edited by scarlet on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Cat help

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:19 pm

Mine only have dry food, though I don't know what help that is to you?

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby babygrowbelly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 pm

All my cats have had dry food as the staple diet, my first ever cat was on wet food and when i went to vets with him he said his gums were dreadful and more likely because of diet so recommended dry (he had 2 cats himself) I give my cat a "treat" every now and then of fresh but other than that always dry and never had any problems x

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 pm

We give both - wet food twice and day and a handful of dry biscuits to munch on in between. Have you made sure your cat has plenty of water? Dry food really makes them thirsty.

One of our cats had a urine infection. She was weeing all the time and it even had teeny bits of blood in it which was evident in the litter tray. Quickly sorted out with medication but she is now prone to it. Need to keep a close eye on it as they dehaydrated scarily quickly if they are constantly peeing. Any worries I'd go straight to the vets

Hope that helps

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:23 pm

I give mine dry cat food in the morning and wet food at night. One of my cats developed crystals in his kidneys from dry food alone which required a very expensive special diet and medicine from the vets for life to put right. The symptoms of this condition were him straining over his tray but nothing happening :(

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Dry food is fine provided there's plenty of fresh water available. As Ruth said its actually better for their dental health. Cats that only eat wet food don't need to drink much as there's quite a lot of water in their food but those on dry food should always have access to water.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:27 pm

She has been weeing on the floor , keeps going to the litter tray none stop even after weeing on the floor.
I have watched her a few time's in the litter tray and nothing has come out. She also keeps licking her bottom , more than normal. I have to say I don't think she drinks enough water either.
She is also just generally acting odd , I'm not sure what to do. :(
She has wet food twice a day and her other bowl always has dry food in it.

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby babygrowbelly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 pm

In that case definately take her to vets, sounds like she may have an infection (shame cats dont drink cranberry :giggle: ) does she go outdoors?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Poor thing :( , it does sound like she might have an infection, I would definitely take her to the vets :hug: :hug:

Next

Return to Pets