hf1

What material to use for DIY cloth nappies?!

My avatar
laura
Clothie
Clothie

What material to use for DIY cloth nappies?!

Postby laura » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi Im a newbie to making nappies but really want to give it a go.
Ive done about a million hours research and have come up with the following

Inner layer - cool wicking material (cant remember the exact brand name, its very thin, and wicks moisture away quickly, and dries quickly, very thin and breathable.
Then zorb for absorpbant material
The PUL
Then funky cotton cover from an old t shirt type dress

My problem is it looks REALLY thick! I havnt sewn it up yet though. I cant think which layer to remove, they all seem essential! I really need the wicking material as I have had problems with a son getting a sweat/heat rash when ive used fleece nappies in the past.

Does anyone have any suggestions?! Or does this sound about right?

Thanks
Laura
Last edited by clothmama on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to new Sewing forum

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What material to use for DIY cloth nappies?!

Postby Dancing mum » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:13 pm

I haven't made my own nappies (although very tempted to give it a go!) but personally I have found zorb wicks moisture away quickly anyway. I'm guessing the fast wicking material is Microfibre? I have found hemp a fantastic material for nappies, super absorbant, less bulky and quicker drying than bamboo.
Like I said I'm no expert but maybe zorb then hemp??

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Are you making an all in one ?

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:47 am

@laura

I used to make my nappies but we are all PT'd now.

I use to have either fitted's or pockets.

For the stay dry layer I would use either suede cloth, mircofleece or minkee.

The absorbent layer would be bamboo terry or cotton terry with a rectangle of mircofibre or sorb sewn onto it and the outer layer of cotton knit.

With the pockets I would use PUL on the outer and suede cloth on the inner with a pocket which was stuffed with a pre fold.

A fitted

By sewing the rectangle of absorbent material onto one of the layers, you are taking out some of the bulk for sewing.

Having PUL and then cotton outer, I would worry about the cotton wicking the moisture out on the leg's and tummy (if for a boy).

I bought all my patterns from Rocket Bottoms, but there are many more out there.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 am

I second most of what Bernadette said.

Whenever I've made nappes, I've tended to use either suede cloth or mircofleece - not just reguolar fleece, which can be quite thick.

Absorbent layer is person choice I've tended to stick to bamoboo because it's good for heavy wetters. An extra hourglass shaped core can add absorbency without adding bulk.

And I would definitely second Bernadette's recommendation about ditching the cotton outer - our cotton outer nappies always wicked (on both my uber-heavy wetting daughter and my average-wetting son).

The Darling Diapers pattern served us well and has lots of great pictures to guide you through the steps.

Good luck and come and share pics when you're done! :thumbsup:

My avatar
laura
Clothie
Clothie

Postby laura » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Hi thank you all for your answers you've all been really quick in responding!! I was thinking about making a pocket to add an absorpant pre fold, if I did this could I remove the zorb layer do you think? OMG I never thought making a NAPPY could be so complicated!!

Return to Sewing