Who makes clothes for themselves?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Who makes clothes for themselves?

Postby clothmama » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:56 am

I realised that I dont 'have many clothes and really need to up my wardrobe a bit. Trying to spend as little as possible at the moment so thought I should probably make some! Any ideas / sites / patterns / ideas that you can recommend?

I can't remember who makes their own @laceybat @JabberJabber @Allie @MissFrodo ??

Add pic from discussion page 2 to make thumbnails look pretty!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Who makes clothes for themselves?

Postby MissFrodo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:12 am

Yup I've done loads for myself, really need to make a few dresses for summer btw but can't find my sewing mojo.

Besides making my own dresses/skirts I love shopping in second hand stores, managed to buy a lovely dress a few weeks ago for 6 euro!

Patternwise I don't know what you wanna make but I use the Simplicity patterns and Knipmode (a dutch sewing magazine) most times when I make something myself.
If you like the knitted dresses, think I have 10 of them :giggle: , take a look at burda 7828.
Last edited by MissFrodo on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:16 am

I've done some dresses - and thinking of doing some summerdresses :) Got some patterns from the local sewing shop a while ago and just use those - sometimes I alter the patterns a bit

But mostly I do the second hand shopping as Esther :thumbsup: more on the note of saving the planet than saving money :giggle: And we have some really good second hand stores in Aarhus as well as a site called trendsales that has tons of second hand clothes and things - really nice high end brand names as well for a lot less than new :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:35 am

They don't really have 2nd hand stores here. Maybe I need to do some online looking!

MissFrodo wrote:If you like the knitted dresses, think I have 10 of them :giggle: , take a look at burda 7828.

To 'curvy' for knit dresses! they tend to cling too much :oops:

I'm actually thinking of some straight knee length skirts for a start as they are quite easy and look nice with a plain tshirt. I want to look a bit more stylish :oops:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:44 am

Look forward to seeing what you guys make if you do end up doing more dresses @MissFrodo and @Aeseldyr - I remember a few summers back you made heaps of them Esther!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I found a few patterns on etsy and pintrest.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:27 am

I make quite a lot of my own clothes, mainly hoodies and long sleeved t-shirts for the winter and cotton tops and linen trousers for the summer. I've also done a couple of peasant style maxi dresses. The sis bloom patterns on etsy are good and really easy to follow.

Eta forgot to say my absolute favourite pattern is a just above the knee a line skirt out of my sew a metre book. I have tons of these skirts in various different weights of fabric for different times of the year.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:39 am

I've started to sew some things for myself.
Made 2 kimonos last weekend to dress up jeans and simple tops.
Hoping to get some skirts done

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:11 am

docmaggoo wrote:I've started to sew some things for myself.
Made 2 kimonos last weekend to dress up jeans and simple tops.
Hoping to get some skirts done

@docmaggoo What patterns do you use for the kimonos? I'd really like to do some for when we go to Florida.

Next

Return to Sewing