Medieval festival costumes. Festival day pics pg 7

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Medieval festival costumes.

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:22 am

JabberJabber wrote:Do you have any practice fabric you could use to test it out?

No I don't and they dont' really have charity shops here so I can't even go and pick up a cheap sheet :-? I think I'm just going to have to go for it and hope it works! On the plus side I do have another 3m length of it so I could get J's tunic out of mine if it all goes pear shaped and start again!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Louis' 'chainmail' knitted by MIL has arrived and it looks great!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:22 pm

OK so I got brave and it has been a surprisingly quick and easy process to cut it out:
this one is where I've drawn it on but you can't really see my lines:
I decided as there was more length available to make the sleeves longer I would, turns out that was a boo boo as they are trailing on the ground but better too long than too short!
Image Image Image Image

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:27 pm

So I followed these hints in the instructions (link in earlier post)
Always, ALWAYS cut the seams a bit bigger than you think you need. You can always take a dress in but it's really hard to add pieces in once it's cut.

Your pattern is based around your non-stretchy shirt. Because it pulls on over the head, you need to allow extra room at the sides.

Ummm yes well garbage bag comes to mind :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:
Any hints girls with costume making experience how to best go about this - should I just chop off some of the sides (and tbh the underarms are huge too) to try to do darts or what do you think anyone?? @emmavmorgan @JabberJabber
this is what it looks like with the shirt over it - I did what she said and left lots of space!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Medieval festival costumes. Pics Louis' and mine pg 4

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Can you sew/tack it together using larger seams to make it smaller and see how it goes? Otherwise ask Joel or one of the boys to pin it and help shape it. You'll just need to keep trying to pin/tack until it's the right size.

Totally true that too big is better than too small.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:17 am

That sounds like the best plan, I'll try to pin where I think it goes then I'll put it on and get J to help pin me into it!

I think I want a v neck as that will be coolest (as in heat not as in :cool: :hohoho: ) just not sure how to do it and too scared to cut it too big :panic: I'm also going to try to hand sew the neckline and the sleeves as that will look the most authentic (but not going the whole hog and handsewing the lot :hohoho: :sew: :sew: Any cutting my own v neck hints most welcome!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Medieval festival costumes. Pics and Q pg 4

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:21 am

Should I trim the nick and sleeves with something like this or go the plain look???

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:33 am

I think it would look stunning with that trim.

Have you got a v neck top you could use to help you make a pattern?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:02 am

Oh this one is nice!

Hmmmm not sure - I'll have to have a look - I think I've got a stretchy top in a v neck.

I am about something like this for the belt
Image which I could do from the same as the dress material and then put ribbon over the top if I got some ribbon. Hmmmmm decision decisions and so little time :panic:

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing