hf1

Medieval festival costumes. Festival day pics pg 7

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Medieval festival costumes. DH's costume finished pg 5 :)

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:03 pm

@clothmama hummmmmm! You could just cut the edges really close if your confident enough in your seems or if you have pinking shears you could use those. If you left a generous seem allowance you could fold the hem back in on itself and seem it either side of the seem (like a French hem but on the machine) or you could open a bottle of wine and not worry about it :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:23 pm

LOL already have a wine and it still bothers me (I'm a bit of a perfectionist with my sewing :oops: ) I'm just not sure the best thing to do. I'll have a look in the morning and see if there is enough to turn it again although it is linen / tencel mix and frays quite a lot so it isn't really an option to leave it (plan to use the dress for future dress up things and the medieval festival will be a yearly thing) as it won't last / will look crap!

Sorry I wasn't really clear - it isn't the actual hem (going to do that by hand so it looks more authentic) but the seam at the back of the sleeve (it is the really long wide thing so it flaps open). I'll go take a pic of what I mean @emmavmorgan

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Here is the finished neckline (looks like I cut it very similarly to the picture I have as the thumbnail on this thread :giggle: )
@emmavmorgan
Here is what I mean - the internal seam running up my arm - tbh I didnt' expect it to all go together so well / easily and I expected to have to unpick it so it is done with 4mm stitches :giggle: so not too bad if I do need to unpick!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Medieval festival costumes. Remy's costume finished pg 6

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:56 am

Remy's is all but done (just need to make a belt - going to plaint the 3 colours together), the neighbour is hand sewing the shield on for me. I'm really pleased with how it turned out!
I researched family shields and found one I liked that is for the Irish version of our sirname :giggle: I sketched it and made a pattern from paper:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:35 am

Lovely!
Did you decide what to do with your sleeves @clothmama ?
I wondered about sewing some lace over / into the seam as a detail?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:12 am

Now that is really not a stupid idea at all @sim :thumbsup: - but did lace exist in the middle ages????? I have some quite plain cotton linen sort of coloured lace which could work really well :thumbsup:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:51 pm

I believe bobbin lace was made in the late Middle Ages. Embroidered ribbon might be another option as embroidery definitely was a feature on clothes of the age.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:07 pm

clothmama wrote:Remy's is all but done (just need to make a belt - going to plaint the 3 colours together), the neighbour is hand sewing the shield on for me. I'm really pleased with how it turned out!
I researched family shields and found one I liked that is for the Irish version of our sirname :giggle: I sketched it and made a pattern from paper:

:love:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:27 pm

OMG I decided to ignore the constant advice of the lovely @emmavmorgan :doh: :doh: and put the gores in - so so so difficult and not thrilled with my point (but love the extra width of the skirts :giggle: ) - one down at the back and one to go tomorrow (unless I chicken out and don't do it!).

@sim I think I'll see if I have enough of the lace to line up the sleeve with even though my dress is early middle ages not later I'm sure others haven't been as anal as me and a lot of them seem to be hiring their costumes! I was going to add brocade ribbon but ran out of time - I'll probably add it for next year :D

littlesez wrote::love:

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing