Postby autumnalgirl » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:44 pm

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Medieval festival costumes.

Postby clothmama » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:37 am

OK so I'm slowly (too slowly!) sorting out what we are doing!

Louis is having chainmail made with grey wool adn crochet or knit (not sure MIL doing it) with huge needles / hook then sprayed with metal paint (I think she found it on pinterest or something :giggle: ). He'll also have a over shirt thing with a shield on it as per knights of the time). I think she is also doing the cap thing.

Remy will just have the little shirt and I think I'll match the boys shields / motifs, that way Remy is the little squire to his big brother knight :giggle:

I found this for inspiration:
Image (sorry can't find the original link, doesn't seem to work).

Not sure what I'm going to go for yet, depends what pattern I find the easiest!
Love the long sleeves of this one:

Josh wants to go as a hunter (he already has his handmade bow and arrows). Something like this but summer weight!

DH we will wing it with a tunic top and accessories! I'm going to order enough linen to do his as well.
It is a linen / tencel mix:
Image I'll dye mine a nice purple and DH probably brown (or leave as is).

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:23 pm

@clothmama the blue one looks like the easiest dress to make as it doesn't have any darts in it but it will take a lot of fabric to get the skirt so full in one piece. You could just add the sleeves you like to the blue one easily. I made a similar tabard for one of the boys not to long ago I just made it from one piece of felt and glued I think a dragon? on the front with PVA it was completely no sew and only took maybe 30 mins to make. He had chain Mail underneath that was made from silver sequined fabric from an old top.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:46 pm

@emmavmorgan it is actually gored (most of them seem to be and I'm not too bothered about doing them) to get the fullness. This is the blog post:
https://bellflowercostuming.wordpress.c ... le-bliaut/

I have found a pattern that seems a nice simple way of doing it with the sleeves I want but doesn't have the gores and I want the fullness:
http://rosaliegilbert.com/bigsleevetutorial.html
but then she has another pattern that has the gores done the same way:
http://rosaliegilbert.com/lacedtutorial.html
so I'm thinking I should be able to encorporate them. Only thing is I'm not sure about the finished product (could be her photos and / or fabric choices though) if it is as nice as some other patterns (this just seems simple enough for me!).

What do you think? :sewing:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:42 pm

I think this is the actual pattern she used for the blue dress @emmavmorgan - how do you think it would compare to doing the simpler cutting on the other site if I combine the sleeve and gored patterns?

http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/%7Elwittie/s ... liaut.html

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:02 pm

@emmavmorgan sorry to bug you but did you get a chance to look at those links I posted? What do you think?

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:20 pm

@clothmama that pattern certainly makes sense and looks easy. If you have enough fabric I would still be tempted to cut the skirt as full as possible from one piece and not bother putting in the gores.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:23 am

emmavmorgan wrote:@clothmama that pattern certainly makes sense and looks easy. If you have enough fabric I would still be tempted to cut the skirt as full as possible from one piece and not bother putting in the gores.

I guess I could cut right to the egde but on a 150 wide peic eof fabric that will only give a max of 300cm where I think it would be more with the gores - and what do you think, will it fall the same without them. Are gores a nightmare to do is that why you are suggesting without @emmavmorgan ?

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:02 am

clothmama wrote:
emmavmorgan wrote:@clothmama that pattern certainly makes sense and looks easy. If you have enough fabric I would still be tempted to cut the skirt as full as possible from one piece and not bother putting in the gores.

I guess I could cut right to the egde but on a 150 wide peic eof fabric that will only give a max of 300cm where I think it would be more with the gores - and what do you think, will it fall the same without them. Are gores a nightmare to do is that why you are suggesting without @emmavmorgan ?

They aren't a nightmare but they are time consuming and a bite fiddly. If you cut the skirt in one piece aline it should fall nicely. If the costume is only for one night and doesn't need to hold together for a whole 6 week run of a show I'm all about ease and speed :hohoho:

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing