clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Dottie Angel Simplicity 1080 dress - sew along / help thread

Postby clothmama » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:40 pm

sim wrote:@clothmama
I quite fancy this one http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/1080/#.VvRQXCmWdjI

Though I'm not sure if the style is too young!

After repeated opening of the link to this dress I decided to buy it :yahoo: :widesmile: (for the sake of all of you :twisted: :hohoho: ) as it was on special offer! Even with post to here it was still only 5 quid! I have been reading some reviews and most people say that it is really simple but you do need to tweak the pattern a bit to suit your body (guessing that is the same with any pattern really so not too bothered by it!). I'm thinking I can make the bottom half dark and plain and have fun with the top (as per what I've been reading for my pear shape :hohoho: ).

@sim
@confusinglady
@emmavmorgan

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Who makes clothes for themselves?

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm really tempted too by it. Wondering if I could make it breast feeding friendly too..

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Grrrr seriously who buys paper patterns these days - can't believe I have to wait days and days for it :giggle: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:04 pm

@clothmama I've not been able to see the sizing / measurements - could you?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:45 pm

sim wrote:@clothmama I've not been able to see the sizing / measurements - could you?

Yep there was the back on one site I found:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/73426

@sim I've seen some pretty curvy lady versions. Apparently like all patterns it is designed for a b cup so if I can't get it with the pattern I'll give FBA (full bust adjustment I have learnt today!) a go as it sounds like if I'm going to start sewing I'll need to learn to fit my size D boobies into things :hohoho: :hohoho: By all accounts it is pretty forgiving fit wise but everyone says the boob darts are too high especially if you have boobs so I'm going to move them down!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Ive ordered it. Will see what happens!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:38 am

autumnalgirl wrote:Ive ordered it. Will see what happens!

Yah Christi I'm so pleased - we can have a sew along together to help us get over the weird bits of the pattern! Apparently the instructions are a bit rubbish and it is trying to make the whole thing more complicated than it needs to be. The other 'pitfalls' I've read about are the armholes being done in a strange way and apparently it is all beautifully finished inside with bias binding everywhere but a lot of people have just done normal seams / overlocked as with most things as the bias takes so long! I spent waaaaay too long reading reviews and blogs yesterday :sewing: :giggle: Most people say to do a muslin (I'll make mine wearable just out of material I don't care about) so I'm going to do that for my first one.

Have you got your material yet @autumnalgirl or do you know what you are doing for your first one?

Who else is going to play :sewing: :widesmile: :widesmile: ?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:42 am

I don't think I have any suitable fabric, but I have to be honest...I have no idea what's in there! I was thinking if not I'll just buy some cheap fabric to have a first attempt with!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:57 am

I'm the same I'm pretty sure I dont' have a big enough piece (or 2 pieces) of anything so I need to try to source some cheap material here (easier said than done!) I'm actually 1/2 eying up the old bit of grey material that is currently hanging across the bathroom window :hohoho: :hohoho:

@sim you really need to join in - you were the one that found the pattern :giggle: :giggle: Go on order it while it is still on special :twisted: :twisted:

Next

Return to Sewing