Dottie Angel Simplicity 1080 dress - sew along / help thread

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Dottie Angel Simplicity 1080 dress - sew along / help thread

Postby sim » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:45 pm

I've not taken it out @clothmama

I was thinking of doing the first one in either greys with some purple trim or navy with a ditsy blue trim.
I like the corduroy idea but it might need slight alteration as the ties mightn't work as well. I think it would be relatively easy to add a short exposed zip in the back if needed instead. I also fancy trying a heavy jersey with slimmer longer sleeves.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:49 pm

sim wrote:I've not taken it out @clothmama

I was thinking of doing the first one in either greys with some purple trim or navy with a ditsy blue trim.
I like the corduroy idea but it might need slight alteration as the ties mightn't work as well. I think it would be relatively easy to add a short exposed zip in the back if needed instead. I also fancy trying a heavy jersey with slimmer longer sleeves.

I might see if I can find something with a bit more drape than corduroy as I think you are right but still want something warmer than light cotton! Maybe a linen? I'm not very good with my materials in terms of knowing what there is and what they are called! Any ideas welcome! Will be really interested how you are going to do the sleeves as I'd also really like to do a longer (3/4 probably) sleeve version for winter @sim

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:55 pm

The boys are watching to do I just skim read the pattern while waiting for the pasta pot to boil @clothmama
The binding looks unecesarily complicated but imagine the finish would be nice!
I have no plan for the sleeves other than creating a tube and then figuring out how to taper it slightly :oops:
It might be easier to layer it with a long sleeved top in a matching or contrasting colour!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:40 am

I've found this at only 15 euros / 3 metres, it is a 50% linen / cotton mix. The only plan colour they have is navy so could get that (but only have black tights and hate black and blue) and thought it could be quite cute or would it be too much :-?

Hmmm I think the navy would be better!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:21 am

I think I'm going to have to find a fabric shop, it is hopeless online :drama: :giggle:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:37 pm

I hate online fabric shopping unless it's a well known designer. I want to know what the fabric feels like!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:05 pm

sim wrote:I hate online fabric shopping unless it's a well known designer. I want to know what the fabric feels like!

Ice been caught out a couple of times shopping on line :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:19 pm

:yahoo: :yahoo: So when I went to Ikea the other day I managed to pick up some of their plain cream coloured coton at only 3 euros / metre. I decided it would be perfect to do a 'muslin' of this dress and if I'm happy with the result I can always dye it or add some summery material or something to it to make it usable, if I have a lot of trouble and end up needed to chop / change the pattern then I will have a personalised cloth pattern left! Currently in the machine prewashing! Will let you know once I get going!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Finally got the pattern traced (other than the pocket as I'm not sure I'll do it on this first trail one and it was such a faff folding all the pattern peices up I don't want to unfold them again!) - had to use the big glass door :giggle: Honestly I'm not sure I'll ever buy a 'real' pattern again - I think PDF ones are soooo much easier :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing