hf1

DIY face masks! Added instructions to add nose sealer.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

DIY face masks! Added instructions to add nose sealer.

Postby clothmama » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:13 pm

I've been looking at these for a while (even for doing DIY as I hate the other ones, your face gets sweaty!) and I found this pattern that looks really good, with a good tutorial as well. As she said it isn't going to stop the virus but will stop you / remind you not to touch your face. The addition of some iron on non-woven interfacing (which I annoyingly can't find) will apparently make it 'virus proof'. I've found some cute material in my stash and have started cutting my first one! Just hope I can find some elastic.................. I know it's somewhere!

Can't see this video on your phone? Tap here to watch 6hpzLQTy-SA in your Youtube player
The link to her pattern is under her video.

Pic of my first one finished:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: DIY face masks!

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Yah finally got around to finishing it! It was soooo easy and fits really well. Excuse my tired face, too many late nights :giggle:

DH wants me to make him one but that has a nose sealer (need to work out how to make it removable as pipe cleaners which they say to use are metal so will soon rust with washing) as he struggles with normal masks doing DIY as they fog up his glasses!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:23 pm

I'm actually thinking it could also really help with my hayfever when mowing :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:02 pm

OK so after watching how to make a removable filter pocket I worked out how to do it for a folded in half pipe cleaner. Before sewing the lining and fabric together I zig zagged the top edges of fabrics to stop fraying. I put a pin at each end of where the wire ended then measured down about 1.5cm and put another pin so when I was sewing the seam I just skipped those 2 bits. Then I sewed a channel (with ends to stop the cleaner moving) about 1.5cm and the ends and 2cm in the centre (to over the nose) to make it easier to turn the corner when taking the pipe cleaner in and out. Really pleased and he said that it feels much better seal wise :widesmile: :sewing: :widesmile:

I hope that helps someone who wants a mask but wears glasses.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: DIY face masks! Added instructions to add nose sealer.

Postby Allie » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:42 pm

Fantastic @clothmama!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:31 am

they look fab!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun May 24, 2020 10:39 am

I followed that link and tutorial to make them for me and DH. Thank you @clothmama. Ignore the hair!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun May 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Looks great!

i should have come back and updated. DH loved his but after wearing it out and talking in shops etc he found it was a bit small and kept slipping down (maybe his beard too). so your dh may have issues - headsup @autumnalgirl !

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun May 24, 2020 1:31 pm

We are a family of pin heads :giggle: I can adjust the elastic on his if necessary. He has a plain navy one.

Return to Sewing