hf1

Learning to knit- what do I need?

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Learning to knit- what do I need?

Postby Kim » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:34 am

So I have decided to learn to knit. Seren got a knitting kit for Christmas and she wants me to teach her - only I don't know how.
What size needles?
Which wool?
Any recommended books or websites?
It's all really confusing for me.

Thanks
Kim

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Learning to knit- what do I need?

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:23 am

I'm a real beginner and haven't even done any for ages (really want to do more this year!) I'd say get some decent quality yarn in DK, I just bought some Stylecraft stuff which is quite a nice acrylic or you can fork out for some real wool. I know from learning / teaching crochet it is a nightmare with cheap and nasty yarn, I made that mistake in the beggining! I'm a tight knitter so I like to use 5mm needles and I really only use circular kneedles now as I find I'm less likely to get confused / drop stitches. When I re-taught myself (I'd knitted as a teenager) a couple of years ago I went to the local library and borrowed every knitting book they had. I decided to learn the continental style as some of the girls on here said that it is much quicker once you get the hang of it. I'm glad I did because as a crocheter it feels quite normal to hold my needles that way. Once I got going I used you tube to help, it is great because you can pause as you go when trying to learn a new stitch / technique in the way you can't do with a book! I'd say You Tube is the best way to learn if you don't have a handy knitting friend / mum / grandma!

@Kim

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks
I will get on youtube, I use it a lot for my balloon art, there seems to be a video for everything on there.

Kim

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:32 pm

following with interest as I'm utter pants at knitting. I have all these good intentions of trying again, but always seem to pick up the crochet hook instead :giggle:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:18 pm

There are excellent stitch tutorials on knitwitch

And quite a few of us on here could help if you get stuck :)

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:03 am

I will have to post a pic of my first attempt, a blanket for bob the builder using childrens needles and 'wool' that kept breaking. I did tell Seren it was supposed to be a funny shape, not sure if she believed me though.

Return to Knitting