hf1

Please share. and make me feel better & sane!

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Please share. and make me feel better & sane!

Postby teganplus2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:10 pm

I think of it like this, I don't "need" a drink of water when I wake in the night, however I "want" one! I very rarely "need" a cuddle but often "want" one, does that mean I shouldn't get it? I don't think so! If she wakes "wanting" a drink of milk and goes back to sleep once she has had it then give it to her, half an hour of being awake is better than 2 hours IMO I very much doubt she will still be waking for a bottle when she is 3+ as she will be old enough to understand that she can drink from the cup you have left her and go back to sleep!

I'm a big believer in doing what works for you and sod the "advice" given by HP's there is no "one size fits all" baby book so do what works for you :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Does she have supper before going to bed? Perhaps some toast or cereal might help if she doesn't have allready. What about offering water rather than milk. As for cc you don't need to, habits are easy got into but easy broken if you want to, shh pat works really well and re-assures lo's that you are there but as others have said if the way things are right now are not of huge concern then just carry on xx

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:37 pm

thanks ladies!!!
I think i'm gonna go with just giving her milk! @teganplus2 - toni, that is such a great way of putting it!!!
I already have the monitor turned off at night, but can hear the noisy bugger through the wall!! (with both bedroom doors shut!!)
Thanks again - you ladies always keen me sane!!!

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby evansmummy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:57 pm

teganplus2 wrote:I think of it like this, I don't "need" a drink of water when I wake in the night, however I "want" one! I very rarely "need" a cuddle but often "want" one, does that mean I shouldn't get it? I don't think so! If she wakes "wanting" a drink of milk and goes back to sleep once she has had it then give it to her, half an hour of being awake is better than 2 hours IMO I very much doubt she will still be waking for a bottle when she is 3+ as she will be old enough to understand that she can drink from the cup you have left her and go back to sleep!

I'm a big believer in doing what works for you and sod the "advice" given by HP's there is no "one size fits all" baby book so do what works for you :hug: :hug:

Fab advice and my view exactly. If she wants milk give it to her x

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:02 pm

First of all :hug: :hug: :hug: Broken sleep/sleep deprivation is horrid at any time.

A went through a phase of needing milk in the middle of the night too. We used to do a "dream feed" just before we went to bed (normally around 10:30-11pm) where we'd stir her enough to get her to drink her milk out of a bottle. A little selfish, but it meant we wouldn't have to wake in the night to do a feed, hence stirring her ourselves :oops: It did her no harm, and it meant she slept through until the morning. Eventually, we started dropping the amount we gave her (when she got nearer to two), and then we'd do the feed a little earlier every other day. By the time we'd dropped the feed to a couple of ounces around 9-9:30pm, we tried just not giving it to her and seeing if she woke up. She didn't, so we stopped giving it. If she woke, we'd try to settle her without it, but would give her the bottle if she started to get upset. She totally out grew needing the extra feed around the age of two.

Just do what you feel is best for you and your family. Your instincts are most likely right!! :hug:

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby cath » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Charlotte is a terrible sleeper so I feel your pain only too well. She was still waking for milk up until she was about 22 months old but the sight of me walking in with the bottle used to fully wake her up & she would often not go back to sleep for hours afterwards. From about 16 months old, I stopped going in & started leaving her a bottle of milk propped up in the corner of her cot & she could then just help herself to it in the night as she wanted it.Nine times out of ten, it was gone by the morning. We have just transitioned her to a big girl's bed at 2 years old & I didnt want the milk spilling on the expensive mattress so I have now stopped the night time milk, I just explained that now she is a big girl, she doesn't need it & she now has a sippy cup with water on her bedside cabinet which she has accepted without any trouble. If it works for you, then go with it & deal with weaning her off it at a later date :hug:

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:33 pm

have just had a rant with my sil (who is fab) and she has echoed what many of you lovely ladies have said! So, i'm just going to give her milk when she wants it. I may even look at doing the dream type feed... have never really done that - but maybe it would be worth a go....

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:23 am

We used the no-cry sleep solution to wean DD off her night feeds once she was 14 months and I was back at work. It didn't take long and now she just has a sippy cup of water by the bed. I wanted to stop her milk for two reasons, 1. so we all got more sleep, 2. to avoid damage to her teeth. Drinking formula from a bottle in the cot at night once they have teeth isn't ideal, so that for me was another incentive to break the habit. You have to do what you feel is right though, everyone has their own way of parenting x

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:52 am

My DS still has a middle of the night cup of milk now at 31mths. I'm lazy though so I get it for him as soon as I here a wimper or i'd never get back to sleep. He has a bottle at night till just before he was 2 and then I switched him to cups even at night. We did CC as a last resort and I wouldn't do it again it did work but it was horrible atthe time he wouldn't stay in his own bed and I was pregnant and he is a very active sleeper and bump got bruised so it was out of not knowing what else to do. Within reason I tend to go with the flow.

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler