First cold

My avatar
craggy426
Clothie
Clothie

First cold

Postby craggy426 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:21 am

Morning all,

My little baby Emilie (3 months) has her first cold. Does any one have any tips to help such a snuffly little baby. She's bunged up and doesn't seem to understand she can breathe in through her mouth. The night was a bit of a return to newborn territory though she's pretty cheerful this morning despite being poorly! :babyroll:

Thanks!
Lizzy x

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: First cold

Postby jan3182001 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:35 pm

Lots of cuddles, >:D< wipe damp cotton wool near nose it can be used to draw mucus down esp before feeding.

Hope baby is feeling better soon

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:40 pm

Just moved this to the baby section...

Olbas oil on a tissue in the room (not too close to her as it's quite strong) - take her into the bathroom when you shower (steam/humidity helps), keep her as upright as possible (as lying flat exacerbates the snotty issue). You can get saline nose drops (basically sterile salt water) to help clear her nose too... Erm yes and not that she'll give you any choice ;) but feed feed feed if you're bf!

Squirting BM up the nose apparently also helps but I never got desperate enough to try that ;)

Snuffle babe on your clothes (not hers yet I think) helps too...

Hugs >:D< hope she's feeling better soon - You know what they say, it takes 7 days to clear a cold with meds and 8 days without... xxxx (the worst is the first 2 days I find though)

My avatar
pinkydinkydoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby pinkydinkydoo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:27 pm

We use the nose drops on dd every day, they are fab!! I've seen the ones we use for sale in boots, NASOSAL. Should unblock baby's nose enough to get a good nights sleep.

My avatar
craggy426
Clothie
Clothie

Postby craggy426 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Thank you all! Bfing a lot does seem to be helping and I'm gonna try the saline drops.
Here's hoping it's not too bad a night. :shock:

Lx

Return to Baby and Toddler