hf1

Help needed for getting Ryan to sleep

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Help needed for getting Ryan to sleep

Postby laceybat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:48 pm

right i need some help as i just don't know what to do any more as Ryan's not going to sleep till gone 12 now only scine the clocks changed. what with me waking at 4ish everynight and sometimes not getting back to sleep at all.

Ryan's routine is he has tea at 5ish then watches abit of tv then i get him ready for bed every 3 night he has a bath with carming oils in it and then we read him a story every night and a bottle still as he's got to have special medicin that surpose to help him put weight on at night so he doesn't wear it off when ruuning around :roll: he goes to bed about 7 to 7.30

right here is what we have tryed
Leaving him but i just can't do it
sitting with him till he sleeps
one of us sleeping in his room
black out blind
no milk
more baths
early bed time
later bed time
no nap during the day (that was a mistake as that was worse :x )

what elas can we do we can't co sleep as ryan doesn't like it we have tryed

i need sleep and so does phil we just don't know what to do any more Phil lets me go to sleep at 5 just so i'm awake for work now

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Help needed for getting Ryan to sleep

Postby Hannahboo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Don't have time for a long reply but will try and get back on later, but we stopped giving Darcy a bath at night as we found that it was actually waking her up, instead she gets a shower in the morning now.

We don't have a strict routine but we try to roughly stick to this....

4:30-5pm Dinner
6pm TV off and quiet time reading, playing with quiet toys etc
6:15 Pyjamas on
6:30pm Milk downstairs with us then teeth cleaned
7-7:30pm Bed, and either myself or hubby will lie next to her bed until she goes to sleep, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes an hour just depending on how tired she is, but generally no longer than half an hour.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:32 pm

@laceybat

What does Ryan do between being put to bed and going to sleep. Does he constantly get up, does he cry, does he lie there just not sleeping...?

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:36 pm

JabberJabber wrote:@laceybat

What does Ryan do between being put to bed and going to sleep. Does he constantly get up, does he cry, does he lie there just not sleeping...?

@JabberJabber he just scream's like we'r tying to kill him or it throwing everything around his room

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Our routine is fairly flexible and is really just what we currently do as Ewan likes to change things up every so often :roll: We can now move the routine a bit later if we have something on, but usually have to make sure his nap is a bit later if we are going to do this.

At the moment is (usually):

4:30 -5:30 Dinner (at home or at the CM, depending on weekday or weekend)
5:30 - play or a bit of TV / DVD (depending on where he is and what the day has been like!
6:15 ish - Bath, pjs on etc.
6:45 ish Our dinner / his supper (sometimes what we are having, sometimes toast / porridge / fruit / milk
7:15 upstairs to clean teeth, bedtime story, cuddle and lights out. One of us stays with him for 5 - 15 minutes for a cuddle and then leave and he goes to sleep.

We spent a good couple of months moving to this routine as for a while one of us had to lie with him until he was asleep - often up to an hour. we slowly moved away - sit beside him, sit halfway down the bed, sit at the end of the bed, sit in a chair across the room etc and then talked about all the things he could do now he was a 'big boy' - cleaning teeth, using the potty, counting, climbing the ladder at the park etc etc and how he could be a big boy and go off to sleep by himself. The final step took about a fortnight to embed and now he is brilliant at going off to sleep after a quiet cuddle. He has not always been a good sleeper and he is still up at 6:10am precisely every single day, but the current routine was worth the time it took to sort out. He has recently started telling us it is time for a bath, time for story etc.

We found that being consistent has been the key.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm

no cry sleep solution toddler version is good :D

we cut Izzy's nap out when she started not sleeping til after 10pm, this was because she would still wake at 6am and get up for the day but still be absolutely shattered and grumpy all day. Since we cut the nap she sleeps 7-8 til 6-7 and is fine until about 4pm when she gets grumpy. the thing we do is keep her busy then til 6 when we do tea, bath and bed

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Oliver went through a phase, probably about a year ago, where he wouldn't settle to sleep and would keep getting up and coming out of his bedroom, either that or just crying.

Like you, we couldn't leave him to cry, so needed to find another solution.

We found that he was getting overtired, so moved his bedtime back so it started a bit earlier. We also stayed in the room with him, as it stopped him from getting out of bed and he didn't cry. He didn't go to sleep though! We ended up over a period of a couple of months staying in his room until he fell asleep, which could take up to a couple of hours. Then we started to leave as he was getting very drowsy, almost asleep and then we left earlier and earlier. I would say that this took us a good few months to achieve, but it worked in the end.

It was frustrating at how long it took as it meant DH and I had very little time together, but it was important to be able to get Oliver into a good sleep pattern.

I've had a quick look at the No Cry Sleep solution book before, and it looks really good. Perhaps your library has a copy you can borrow.

The author, Elizabeth Pantley, also has a website which might help you find some answers - http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:14 pm

How old is he? I found that at about two and a half they started to play up a lot more at bed time, messing around in their room crying etc. so I bit the bullet and cut out their nap, to start with it was a bit rough but after a couple of Weeks of earlier bedtimes and a lot of tears at around 5 they got used to it and they have been brilliant ever since. The days they do play up are the days when they go to nursery and they sleep there.

If he I'd consistently awake late at night I would cut his nap out. You will probably have to move dinner earlier so he's not to tired to eat, and move bedtime a lot earlier. But its been a lot better for us.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm

First thoughts were cut out nap and then earlier say 6:30 going up to bed, do teeth meds etc.
What made it worse when you did this before? There is an awful time when they need to cut out nap but 4 till bedtime becomes a nightmare as they re tired and hungry. We brought tea forward then and always tried to have it do that tea Didn t take ages to make or carrot/ cucumber sticks ( luckily mine love fruit or veg) were available.
It is also the age that they play up too I m afraid.
We started music/ stories for dd1 which just keeps them in bed and occupied long enough to allow themselves to fall asleep. Dd1 is listening to tabby Mctat right now , but I bet she's fast asleep. It does mean that if they wake in the night we have to put the music on but I don t mind. It works!
I ve also seen some good kids relaxation tapes ( tapes! How old am I!) you can download the mp3 of them which I m thinking of doing.

Hope that helps, good luck x

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler