hf1

Help needed for getting Ryan to sleep

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Help needed for getting Ryan to sleep

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 am

Daragh is starting to get easier to put to sleep, it helped when we changed the betime routine a lot. We don't do baths before bed as it really hypes him up! One storybook, then the ITNG book we have to read every night. Then (and this has been the most important bit for us) we do gentle tickles on his arm and back with the light out, and after a few minutes he's usually happy to lie down and go to sleep then. He was worse after we cut his nap out too, but as long as he doesn't sleep for more than an hour, or past 1pm, we can manage it.

Is his bed warm enough and comfortable? Molly was getting up alot until recently, until she told us her mattress was uncomfortable, we covered it in lots of blankets so it's a bit better. Daragh got a new pillow, so we can encourage him to lie down on his "choo choo pillow" after his tickles, I've been meaning to make a nice BV one though.

I read somewhere about making a bedtime book -take photos of Ryan at all the stages of his bedtime routine - supper, jammies on, reading his book, and finally, him alseep in his bed. Print out and make into a "bedtime book", mounting on cardboard if you need to. You could also add a photo of what you and your OH might do after he is asleep (sitting on the sofa reading or something), so he doesn't feel he's missing out. At the end you could write in a song or poem that you normally sing/say at bedtime, if you do this. Do things the order that they happen in the book and eventually he should be more reassured going to bed. Whatever you decide to do, be consistent, he could just be at the age where he wants to play a bit at bedtime and finding out what he can get away with. Good luck :hug:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm

well last night was better only because he was asleep by 10.30 so still late but better than 12 and that was with one of us in there till he feel asleep we bought forward tea now to see if that helps he's had no nap today so hopeful he'll sleep earler today

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:06 pm

laceybat wrote:well last night was better only because he was asleep by 10.30 so still late but better than 12 and that was with one of us in there till he feel asleep we bought forward tea now to see if that helps he's had no nap today so hopeful he'll sleep earler today

I'm glad he was asleep earlier last night, how did you do for sleep yourself?

Are you going to be able to move tea forward and cut out the nap for a week or so to see if that consistency does make a difference?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:10 pm

I can't add suggestions, but whatever you do try, try no more than a few changes at a time and do them for a good week or two before giving up. It takes time for a new routine to settle in for both him and you. Consistency is very important.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:27 am

@laceybat how did last night go?

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:27 pm

last night was awful he went down at 7 and was a sleep but was up at 9 as he had no nap yesterday and DP said he final went down at 1 :shock: and got up at 6.30 this morning but nursary let him sleep for 2.5 hours which i'm so :x about as we'll have to :oops: fight tonight. tea being early is so much nicer as it peaceful and not so manic like normal.

i'm still up at 4 everynight but Midwife have given me a pillow to try and see if that helps

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:28 pm

Oh no that sounds rubbish!
Sounds like he went through one sleep cycle at 7-9 and then thought it was still day time. Is it dark enough in his room? Black out blinds/ curtains?

If he s had a long sleep today and he s not likely to go at 7 ( I know we re past that now) then it might be better to take him up at 8:50 when he should be hitting the sleep window again. Not great for you but sometimes better than fighting for ages then him missing that sleep window IYSWIM? I read somewhere about the window being ever two hours and it certainly is true for my dd1 if she doesn t go at 7 ish then it is 9 pm before she will go to sleep- no matter what you do. I would on those occasions when she was smaller, bring her down with some quiet toys and then try again just before 9. Now she stays in bed if she can t sleep I.e misses that window and becomes over tired, but still will only go to sleep around 9 on these occasions.

I hope it gets better , good luck

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Yes-I think the sleep window is definitely 2 hours too. In fact if my lo is having a bad night teething and needs calpol to sleep, he wakes up EXACTLY 2 hours afterwards. I could set a watch by it x

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:57 am

Well last night was so much better he went down just before 7.30 and was asleep just before 8 and that was it for the night he's still asleep now :yahoo: :yahoo: it could be just one night but i know he can do it.

i'm still waking early but last night it was 6.15 this morning so much better but now i'm more tired that i was when getting little sleep :roll:

our new routine is

tea at 4.30ish and no sweet stuff he will get fruit
then a bit of quiet time play and NO TV now
then at 6.45 we go up and get ready for bed brush teeth and put our clothes out for tomorrow
then he gets in the bed and we read 2 storys 7.15is
then we both lie down and i preteaned to be asleep and that seemed to work quicker that us just lieing there.

so hopeful that is what we are going to do every night and see if it works

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler