My avatar
Star02
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Miserable baby!

Postby Star02 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:27 am

:wave: morning!

I wrote a huge post at 4am and couldn't post it for some reason :x

Something is up with this boy. He's fidgety and unsettled ALL the time. He struggles to sleep in the day, so becomes more miserable as the day goes on. I've tried the usual tricks of soothing Wrap/buggy/white noise to get him to sleep but he fights it, and when he does finally drop off it's only for 30-40 minutes at a time.

He doesn't feed really well, he's still sucking in too much air. Sometimes we get it right but the majority of the time he clicks when he feeds. I've had him checked for TT and he's fine. I've had my latch checked by umpteen different advisors and I'm not doing anything I shouldn't be. His tummy makes awful gurgling noises and he howls out in pain sometimes in his sleep. At night he can go for 2-3 hours but it can take anything from 1-4 hours to settle him and he can get very upset. I've tried infacol but it doesn't make any difference.

What am I missing? Is this colic? Reflux? I've been given gaviscon but I'm reluctant to give it every feed.

:(

ETA if I can get him to sleep on his tummy he's much much better.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Miserable baby!

Postby BingBongBoo » Sat May 12, 2012 9:56 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: Poor wee man. Could he be reacting to something you're eating? Dairy is the obvious one. Could you try cutting it out of your diet and see if that helps?

My avatar
Star02
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Star02 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:23 am

I did wonder about that, I've had a cup of chai tea this morning rather than my usual cuppa. I'm not sure what to eat for breakfast. How long would it be before I noticed a difference do you think? Assuming that he was intolerant to something?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat May 12, 2012 10:27 am

Poor both of you, has he been checked for a lip tie, clicking is def a sign of poor latch for some reason or another. try lowering his bottom as you feed, this extends the neck and should help.3 of our kids have been tummy sleepers, William has silent reflux and it is a comfort to him x

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat May 12, 2012 3:35 pm

My bf lady told me that food we eat doesn't actually affect babies much at all :-? . Have you tried tummy massage, leg cycling etc to help relieve wind? I wonder if it wouod help if you drank peppermint tea or another I can't remember right now but will come back to you - these were advised to me to drink to relieve chronic wind pain after my section.

Over-tried babies are a nightmare and then the cycle continues for the whole day. How long after he wakes in the morning do you put him down for a nap? With Emmet anything up to 2hrs is plenty before he gets over-tired. Have you tried Coelief (sp). The bf lady said that Infacol contains nothing that is medically proven to help with wind but Coelief does contain an ingredient believed to help. My old Dr also said that things containing dill helps and I know that dentinox has dill in it............Jonah hated it and I'm sure he was actually better without it though!

Really hope things settle for you soon x

My avatar
Star02
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Star02 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Kirstyh wrote:Poor both of you, has he been checked for a lip tie, clicking is def a sign of poor latch for some reason or another. try lowering his bottom as you feed, this extends the neck and should help.3 of our kids have been tummy sleepers, William has silent reflux and it is a comfort to him x

I did mention lip tie to docs, he just said it was very rare :-? He sleeps longer on his tummy, the last hv I saw said never let him sleep on his tummy, I have but not at night yet. Too scared I won't hear him if he can't move his head!

Shaunie wrote:My bf lady told me that food we eat doesn't actually affect babies much at all :-? . Have you tried tummy massage, leg cycling etc to help relieve wind? I wonder if it wouod help if you drank peppermint tea or another I can't remember right now but will come back to you - these were advised to me to drink to relieve chronic wind pain after my section.

Over-tried babies are a nightmare and then the cycle continues for the whole day. How long after he wakes in the morning do you put him down for a nap? With Emmet anything up to 2hrs is plenty before he gets over-tired. Have you tried Coelief (sp). The bf lady said that Infacol contains nothing that is medically proven to help with wind but Coelief does contain an ingredient believed to help. My old Dr also said that things containing dill helps and I know that dentinox has dill in it............Jonah hated it and I'm sure he was actually better without it though!

Really hope things settle for you soon x

I've tried leg cycling, and gentle massage on his tummy but he hates it so isn't very calm and gets more upset as I do it!! I'll give the peppermint tea a go for sure. I have not had any dairy today to see if there is any noticeable difference, he's slept well twice and is even sleeping on daddy. I think it's too early to say if that's down to dairy or the gaviscon. Is coelief available from a supermarket or is it prescription only?

:thumbsup:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat May 12, 2012 5:22 pm

U can buy it from the chemist.GPs are only allowed to prescribe it for confirmed lactose intolerance although some will prescribe it for colic but technically they shouldn't.

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Grrushka » Sun May 13, 2012 8:22 am

:hug: I had the same for first 7 weeks or so he screamed wouldn't sleep unless on me if I put him down he would wake up straight away or if lucky would sleep for half an hour. I had my latch checked on many occasions and they always said it was good. I didn't have problems with feeding from start but I fed him constantly as that was the only thing that calmed him down :cry: After a few weeks problems wth bf started he would go on and of the breast and scream:/ I wish I knew he had silent reflux but I didn't know anything about it and nobody suggested that :x I'd definitely consider that in your case. I don't know what I would try now, as I am not so keen on meds now but Boris did have gaviscon which didn't help and some milk thickener(he was on formula and ebm later on) and finally omeprazole which helped soo much! But he was 5 months... Definitely try putting him to sleep on his tummy (i'd be scared at night too), holding him upright or when lying down head above the tummy so maybe on a pillow, try cutting out dairy and chamomile and fennel tea. Peppermint is good for tummy as well but for some reason the other two are usually advised for babies(in bm off course)... How often is he feeding? Sometimes they recommend feeding small amounts but more often but I wouldn't recommend that. The milk doesn't get digested and you just top it up with more and make it worse really. If nothing helps I'd try gaviscon I think it is quite safe, the only side effect can be constipation but my boy wasn't constipated so you could try and see if he is ok.

Tbh now I know I'd do anything if it could help as he was in such pain :( I'd also try probiotics to help with digestion, Biocare do Infantis suitable for babies. Of course I am not a GP so you could speak to your doctor but they are usually hopeless with complimentary medicine.

Good luck I hope it gets better for you :hug:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 am

This sounds like Holly, every word! We don't have gaviscon and I am also reluctant to hive her anything so young but tomorrow I am taking her to the gp as I am lost. She hadn't slept well at all until i put her on her tummy to sleep and now she is catching up (i hope) and has barely woken for a couple of days, but when she is awake she is unhappy.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler