hf1

To swaddle or not to swaddle!

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: To swaddle or not to swaddle!

Postby Rox » Sat May 19, 2012 2:08 pm

DebbieP wrote:@Rox did you use a blanket or a special swaddle blanket with S?

I have Swaddle Designs swaddle blankets but tbh they are just large soft brushed cotton sheets. Im not keen on the velcro type ones on offer, cant see how they can be comfy so a soft sheet would be my suggestion.

I have to admit, they worked out to be a great purchase, they were used as swaddle blankets when she was little, then lightweight bed blankets, pram blankets, snuggle on the sofa blankets and are still in use now at 4yr old and are going to be used on #2 so they really worked out well for us.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat May 19, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm intrigued by this too. I tried to swaddle dd using a cotton sheet, but she would wriggle out. Ditto with a single layer of cellular blanket. She didn't sleep great, so was planning to buy some sort of commercially available swaddle solution this time as they get great reviews and i want more sleep! But this has made me think.

I've still got the wool sleep bag thing we used from 6 months (like a gro bag but wool :love: ) and prior to that we semi swaddled using a woollen shawl (single layer) below her arms cos she was such a wriggler.

I tend to agree with Rox that centuries of babies in many cultures have happily been swaddled - BUT, I am feeling a bit confuddled now.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat May 19, 2012 6:34 pm

I honestly wouldnt worry about swaddling, like Rox has said its has been done for centuries without any problem, sometimes I really feel like the health community are making more issues out of things than they need to.

As long as you are aware of the temperature then there isnt a problem. i will be swaddling this little on and our current house is at about 26 during the night (we are too cheap to keep the aircon on)

With the toots I tried the 'swaddle blankets' and I honestly think they are a waste of time. All you need is a blanket or sheet that has a little stretch in it, and then it all comes down to how well you wrap. DH was fantastic at it. With this little one due to the heat I'm going to use muslin sheets.

And a point to ponder if they the health professionals have an issue with the temperature then why not have an issue with gro bags (which I love by the way), the babies can't escape from them and just because they come with a thermometer doesnt make them any safer.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat May 19, 2012 6:46 pm

gilbertandmartha wrote:All you need is a blanket or sheet that has a little stretch in it, and then it all comes down to how well you wrap. DH was fantastic at it. With this little one due to the heat I'm going to use muslin sheets.

How???!!! It's the 'how well you wrap' bit that I was obviously rubbish at!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat May 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I haven t read the latest guidelines but I swaddled both of mine with a crib sized cotton sheet- a brushed cotton one. Then I d put a cellular blanket over their feet and legs etc depending on temp.
My kids both liked it up until about 4 months.

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sat May 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Ia gree with Rox too, I swaddled ds until he was at least 6 months and dd was swaddled until she was 2 months, they both loved it.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 pm

We used to do it like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYPqGtFBYQ

Awww, brings back memories... of DH trying to swaddle my leg one sleep deprived night :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 pm

If you want to swaddle, and your baby likes it, I see no reason not to. As long as you use a light blanket and make sure they don't get too hot, there's no reason to stop doing what Mums have been doing for centuries.

Having said that, both of my girls have hated being swaddled. Even as tiny newborns, they would fight to get their arms free (both liked to sleep with their arms above their head when they were tiny). They both slept much better once I stopped swaddling and moved to grobags.

Since they were both 6lbs at birth, 0-6 month grobags were much too big initially so I used the Purflo 0-3 month size for a while as they were a much better fit.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 pm

If it helps babies settle then i guess ok but not having their arms free means they can't use them as feeding ques, hand sucking etc. We have never swaddled any of ours (they are tummy sleepers though)

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler