hf1

A gentle way to stop co sleeping

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

A gentle way to stop co sleeping

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sun May 20, 2012 6:47 am

Dexter co slept ish but mainly on his own - the gremlin mainly co slept only moving into her own room 5 months ago ish.

We normally end up with them both in the bed, Both the children especially my girl superglue themselves to you in the bed - she also is a tweaker so will normally have hold of my boobs in some form of pincher grip and its not nice.

( she isn't bf anymore)

I seem to have started sleeping quite heavily - I don'y really seem to wake when the children do and DH is responding to them alot over night ( and he works full time so is missing alot of sleep)

When they come in I just recurl up with them.

Hubby has been doing sleep and returning them - only to be frustrated when I just curl up around them and fall back to sleep.

Our bed isn't big enough - but no matter the size they superglue themselves anyhow so its never enough room

I am ready for them to stay the night in their own bed :blush: and hubby very very much so - I would really like a good nights sleep and at the moment I am not having one - I also thinking the swapping beds is playing a part to my boys seemingly constant tiredness and he is up so much in the night swapping beds ( regardless is we keep him in our bed or not) - I also last week managed to sleep in such an odd position that I trapped my sciatic nerve .... I don;t really want to be doing that again it hurt!

I don't really know how to do it ....

They do go some nights the full night without coming in - and at times I have taken them into the spare bed and they have slept in there together - but it isn't fool proof.

Any ideas/recommendations?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: A gentle way to stop co sleeping

Postby littlesez » Sun May 20, 2012 6:51 am

i don't know but we are thinking of doing something soon i just got out my no cry sleep solution for toddlers so will let you know how it goes x

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:05 am

:hug: Catrin had always started the night in her own bed but would end up in ours at some point, we started to try to encourage her to stay in her bed all night a few months before Evie was due as I wasn't liking the idea of 4 in a double bed and a bouncy toddler attempting to squish a newborn.
We started with DH getting in to her bed with her until she settled down, if she still wasn't happy to stay in her bed on her own then we'd try bribing her with a cup of milk( :oops: not great for her teeth but we were getting desperate) She'd often wake several times a night and we were all exhausted but by the time Evie was born she was only waking once or twice(she would still have some bad nights though were she'd be up every hour) She started sleeping through consistently just after her second birthday.

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sun May 20, 2012 8:39 am

Well digging out the stair gate today hopefully that will stop them just wondering in and me falling to sleep with them as I'll have to go and settle them x

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun May 20, 2012 9:17 am

We're similar or should I say I am :oops: no help I'm afraid. But GL

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby cath » Sun May 20, 2012 1:56 pm

We moved Charlotte from our bed to a cot in her own room when she was about 9 months old. When we were co-sleeping, I used to lie with her until she fell asleep so that is what I did when we moved her. The first night, I had my whole upper body in the cot & I cuddled her until she fell asleep, then sneaked off downstairs. Then, each night, I gradually withdrew a bit at a time until I was just sat at the side of her cot while she fell asleep. Then I started moving my chair a little further to the door each night until eventually I was out of the room.

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Sun May 20, 2012 7:50 pm

LilMrsAverage wrote:Well digging out the stair gate today hopefully that will stop them just wondering in and me falling to sleep with them as I'll have to go and settle them x

If they settle ok when you take them back then I think that is a great idea. At the mo, like you say they are getting mixed messages, fc they will wake up less and less during the night with you both taking them back.
We were the same, my oh worked full time, got up at 5am, he couldn't sleep if our youngest got In our bed but I could, not helped by her being in our room. In temp rental while building work done, she is now sharing with her older sister and when we move back to our house she will have her own little room :D . She is nearly 5 now and her eczema has cleared up loads and doesn't normally wake her up - now its "bad dreams" and now when I have to settle her I have to take her back to the other end of the house, which seems like miles :( but I'm still glad she's no longer sharing our room.

Return to Baby and Toddler