Colic - help us keep our sanity

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Colic - help us keep our sanity

Postby JabberJabber » Sun May 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Isaac has colic and screams and cries for about 5 hours each evening. We give him infacol at every feed and wind him as much as we can. We bounce him, cycle his legs, walk him up and down but it makes no difference.

It's so sad to hear him screaming/crying like this and we are slowly losing our minds.

What can we do?

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Colic - help us keep our sanity

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:02 pm

:hug: :hug: No personal experience i'm afraid but I have heard very good things about colief although it is about £11 a bottle xx

My avatar
Peaches2472
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Peaches2472 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:03 pm

We found going for a quick walk outside when he was crying in the evening helped. Our first son calmed right down as soon as we got a few yards up the road, he was in a sling not in a buggy. Even if it doesn't stop the crying it doesn't sound so loud so you feel more calm and able to deal with it.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Sun May 20, 2012 8:06 pm

:hug: :hug: My SIL works with the HV team and she always suggests colief for colic as well.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:08 pm

my sis managed to get a prescription for colief from the docs so it was free :wink:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sun May 20, 2012 8:09 pm

I found keeping them as upright as possible helped so much. Always a bit hard cause it seems to be around dinner time when it happens. Also massage seemed to help ease a little too after a warm bath.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun May 20, 2012 8:10 pm

:hug: Colic is awful. Dd had it from 4am til 7am for three months. We tried everything, nothing out a bottle helped (gripe water, infacol, colief, or any of the other ones available including homeopathic one).

The only things that did help though, were being held vertically (not ideal at 4am, but in the evening, would be easy to sling). White noise is supposed to help many babies too (didn't for us though), and a baby 'vibrator'. Wrapped in a muslin and held near her tummy, it seemed to soothe her. I think there's 'colic pads' available now that do the same thing.

Best of luck with it.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun May 20, 2012 8:20 pm

:hug: colic is horrid. I agree that getting out helps or chsnging rooms frequently, try a bath together. The prescription regulations for GPs only allow them to prescribe it in definite cases of lactose intolerance but some PCTs are stricter than others GPs can be penalised for prescribing it without known lactose intolerance.
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Baby-Colic.htm
has some other tips I wasn't aware of which may be worth a try?
I know a doula/NCT teacher who swears by the 5 S's
http://www.happiestbaby.com/quieting-crybabies/
Last edited by lazylexis on Sun May 20, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Connie_334
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Connie_334 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:26 pm

As PP said, keep upright so they stretch out as much as possible. To wind him put his arms on your shoulder so he's hanging down your body and gently rub his back. Don't jiggle or bounce as it bounces the acid around. Swaddle and put back on your shoulder and then gently rub his back slowly. This was all on an episode of the baby whisperer that I saw and helped us when B was tiny.

Big hugs, it's awful seeing them suffer and feeling so helpless.

xxx

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler