hf1

Colic - help us keep our sanity

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Colic - help us keep our sanity

Postby twinkletot » Sun May 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Colief (I have a bottle here unopened if you want it @JabberJabber ) Amazing stuff. I found keeping them upright for 30 mins after a feed really helped

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun May 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Colief here as well amazing stuff. Plus White noise seemed to help settle him also and vibrations we had a chair only ever like the vibrations on when he was having an episode. You do have my sympathy it's horrid seeing them so distressed.

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Although A doesn't have colic she does suffer from trapped wind which can cause her to be sick if she doesn't manage to get it up - I agree with all the other pp's that said to keep him upright as much as possible. A spends most of the day in the sling and even when I lay her down to change her nappy I put her head on a pillow so that she isn't flat and her cot is propped up too x

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby cath » Sun May 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Cranial Osteopathy is supposed to work well for colic. We had a course of it for DD's reflux & although it didn't help the reflux as such, it definitely made her more settled in herself. Other than that, I have heard white noise & vibration work well.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun May 20, 2012 9:19 pm

I was going to suggest an osteopath as well, now i don't know how to spell this but colocynth granules help a lot of people. Also the upright thing as well, you can get a support that keeps them at an angle or try propping up his bed xx
:hug:

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:33 pm

I third Cranial Ostoepathy. We had this some with DS1 who had cried from 4pm onwards (until he totally wore himself out and that could be 4am) for six and a half weeks. I brought a different child home the afternoon of the first treatment, he instantly was less unsettled and the constant crying stopped and never returned.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun May 20, 2012 9:46 pm

We tried Cranio Sacral Osteopathy but it didn't work for us, but the osteopath did say she didn't think there was more she could do after the second treatment. It works if the colic is because the gastirc nerve is trapped by the plates in the head compressing it at the base of the neck (sorry no scientist here, that's what i recall).

We had colief and I'm not sure whether it helped or not. We found gripe water helped once she was old enough to have it, also baby massage on the tummy and avoiding certain foods myself (I was BF at the time - chilli and curry was out for example)

I personally think that I wasn't eating enough (I lost a ton of weight when breastfeeding, a stone in just over a month) so the quality of my milk wasn't great in that early evening period, so if you possibly can eat more good quality food particularly fatty or protein foods that might help.

Finally is there anyone who would take the baby out for a walk for you? My recollection is that it's the relentless crying that's the killer, if you have a friend or relative who could take him out for an hour even just for a drive in the car to give you a break that would help enormously.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun May 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Not trying to be funny but ear plugs will take the edge off the crying and make it seem not as bad. Then try everything else!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun May 20, 2012 10:08 pm

northernruth wrote:I personally think that I wasn't eating enough (I lost a ton of weight when breastfeeding, a stone in just over a month) so the quality of my milk wasn't great in that early evening period, so if you possibly can eat more good quality food particularly fatty or protein foods that might help.

This was me with Anna, 2 stone in 2 weeks :( , i ended up putting her on formula at 6 weeks and we had a different baby

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler