hf1

Tips needed!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Tips needed!

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:36 am

DH is going on his brothers 4 day stag do next Thursday and although I encouraged him to go I am starting to panic about being home alone with the children from Thursday am until Sunday pm :shock: I have a lot of respect for those of you that do it alone on a regular basis! I have managed dinner, bath and bedtime alone 2 or 3 times since A was born but thats the main bit I am dreading, obviously daytimes I am generally alone anyway and have been since day 2.

How do I do it and stay sane though?! :giggle:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Tips needed!

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:49 am

You ll be fine, can you do some meal prep between now and then? Make some big meals this week and freeze half so all you have to do is get it out of the freezer and put in the oven. You ll also not have all of the tidying away to do either.

Any prep you can do during quieter times of the day will help too. E. g get pj s and nappies , towels flannels etc ready in the bathroom at say 2pm.
I get milk in cups ready to be warmed before we go up to get pjs but your LO s are younger.

I m not sure what your routine is now but sometimes if it's not bath night I bring pj s and tooth brushes downstairs so it's straight to bed with a story when we go up.

What do you think will be the hardest bit for you any why, we could help come up with ideas.
Xxx

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:24 am

Deffo have food ready prepared. I fund it easier if I eat with the toots when Dh is away.or I order in a guilt free take away.

Try to get everything tidied away while they are up, so when they go to bed its you time.

I find weekend s the worst (sorry) because it seems like everyone else has a partner to help. But if you don't go out the days just drag
So try to plan some activities for each day.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Dh is away quite a lot so I've had to manage on my own. What I generally do is what the pervious posters have said - use quiet/nap times during the day to get ahead of myself before I start the bedtime routine. So I will do little things like put DD's milk in a sippy cup in the fridge so all I have to do is microwave it, lay out both girls PJs and M's Grobag - I've even been known to put the plug in the bath with a squirt of baby bath so all I have to do is turn the taps on!

If DH is home, then we normally bath both girls every night but if I'm on my own, I generally either bath them on alternate nights or forgo the bath entirely and just give them a wash down with a flannel. Also, when DH is home, the TV is off at 6.00 when we start the routine but when he's away I let DD watch Charlie and Lola while I BF the baby. That's normally story time but M squirms/kicks about so much when I'm feeding her that I can't hold a book properly!

The other thing I do when he's away for a longish time (several days or more) is really plan my activities so I'm meeting up with someone every day. I find I quite quickly start to feel a bit lonely/isolated if I don't see other adults - especially at weekends.

As for my own food, I normally cook every night for DH and I but when he's away I let loose my inner slattern and treat myself to a few days of fish finger sandwiches and Count on Us microwave meals :oops:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:26 pm

I agree with what's already been said. If you can, cook in advance or at least prepare when dd is asleep during the day. Get everything ready you need for night-time when you can during the day.

Relax, managing these things are usually much easier than we anticipate!

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:52 pm

J works weekends, and I find the same thing, @confusinglady, so I have a list of activities, such as softplay barns etc, that are easy to jump in the car for if we're getting bored. I also make plans in advance with grandparents, or other friends who's partners work.

I would echo what the others have said. Do as much as possible in advance, and get Tyler to help you as much as possible. Don't worry about being behind schedule or the house being messy. Bath after the los are in bed - glass of wine and candles essentials here - and maybe invite a freind of two round for Friday night take away?

Return to Baby and Toddler