hf1

Purflo and Sleepcurve?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Purflo and Sleepcurve?

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Just wondering if anybody had used either of these mattress brands?

The Purflo seems to be a hollow frame with a mesh over it which acts as a mattress, supposedly great thermal properties, washable and no risk of suffocation. However, reviews are mixed.

The Sleepcurve is contoured with a dip for the head, supposedly better positioning of airways plus avoiding flat head syndrome.

We got on fine with regular mattresses last time, but there are features of these that intrigue me and I'm just curious to hear from anybody with firsthand knowledge.

My avatar
Manuela
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Purflo and Sleepcurve?

Postby Manuela » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 pm

:wave: Hello, I'm a complete newbie, reading all about cloth (obviously :doh: ) but saw your post... we have a purflo mattress (several actually) and think they're great! :yahoo:
I love the fact that I can stick it all through the wash should my DS be sick or leak. We've also taken it travelling as it collapses down. Only thing I should say is to check the dimensions (to the last mm) of your cot/cotbed, I did read that sometimes purlos don't fit (as obviously the frame is not flexible) but we've not had that problem. We used to use an Angelcare monitor with the purlfo and the combination is not ideal but we only had a few false alarms until we got the setup just 'right' (angelcare alarm would go off when I know DS was perfectly fine - I was watching him breathe!),
How can I help you, what would you like to know?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Oh thank you! I've been trying to hunt out enough reviews to let me order it, but I remain unconvinced!

I think my main question is how on earth it's strong enough to comfortably and firmly support a heavy toddler?

Also, the more negative reviews say that it's quite tricky to get the cover thingy on?

We also have a movement monitor, so that kind of concerns me too, as it's completely crucial to my peace of mind!

The whole concept sounds great - I love that it's washable, breathable, and is slightly hammock like. Just that it's a lot of money to spend on something so important that is pretty unheard of!

My avatar
Manuela
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Manuela » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

We got ours preloved (initially to test as I wasn't sure if it would be for us but then after disinfecting the frame and washing the cover, I thought why buy new?). They are expensive brand new and I don't know anyone else that has one.
My DS is still in his cotbed (setup as a toddler bed) with his purflo and he's 18kg (on bathroom scales). He seems comfy on it, he's happy to go to bed (still has 2 hr lunchtime snooze and 12 hr at night without a squeek), so I take it that he's ahppy on it.
You do have to make sure that you do the cover up tight as little ones get heavier (as in become a toddler) but that's not been a problem for us. You don't want a heavy toddler to jump on it though - I don't think it's good for the frame and would probably would need to re-tighten afterward so that it's not too saggy. You don't need to re-tighten if they aren't jumping on it. Luckily my DS doesn't really do jumping on furniture/beds! There may be an upper weight limit (perhaps I should dig out the instruction book!) but it is well made/sturdy so it's not going to break in normal use.
It is hard to get the cover on (off is easier but still invovles tugging) but so long as you take your time (so that the cover doesn't twist) and you have normal/good strength in your hands/fingers, you should be fine. Personally I leave my DH to do all the tugging and pulling, as he's developed the knack!
I compeletely understand what you mean about having a movement monitor and peace of mind! We had the angelcare and a respisense! Out cotbed has slats, so we then put a thin board on top of the slats, the pressure pad for the monitor on top of thhe board, then the purflo on top. Have you seen what the frames of the purflos are like? The frame for the lower surface (non-sleeping surface) has a bar across the middle (to give the frame rigidity) and we found that placing the pressure pad directly in line with this bar avoided the false alarms. My DS does/did not wiggle much, so we never had a problem with him moving up or down the cot. However I don't think this really is much of an issue with the purflo/pressure monitor sensor as the monitor was feeling the whole frame move rather than relying on the cover to move. I hope you get what I mean. I can take a pic and post what our setup looks like.
If it makes any differnce, our DS was swaddled initially and then he's been in grobags ever since (we use 'grobag' bags rather than the specific 'purflo' bags. I have one of those somewhere that I also picked up preloved but just didn't like the feel of the fabric, but that's a personal thing.

My avatar
Manuela
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Manuela » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Oh just thought, the cover/sleep surface is mesh and so does feel a little 'odd' (as in not like a normal mattress), you do need to use a sheets to make it more comfy/softer on the skin. The mattress is thicker/higher than most other mattresses so you may want to think about getting the purflo sheets but personally we've always managed by overstretching stretchy fitted supermarket own brand flannel sheets. I do have a purflo breathable fitted sheet (it's like a thinner mesh, 100% cotton) but again didn't like the texture so never used it. It's in the cupboard somewhere....

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Thank you so much for such a detailed response! It's definitely reassured me that this can work for us.

:thumbsup:

My avatar
Manuela
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Manuela » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:59 pm

:D No worries, you're welcome!

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:52 am

@Manuela - I just put up our Purflo and I'm really pleased!

I got it new on eBay for half the price, and it's brilliant! Fits perfectly, easy to get the cover on, and seems firm enough. My only gripe would be that the strap buckle quality could be better.

Looking forward to setting the cot up once I can access the bedlinen, as dh is (very slowly) building drawers in front of the wardrobe.

Very pleased! Thank you again!

My avatar
Manuela
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Manuela » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 pm

So pleased your happy and it's going to work for you too :-)

Return to Baby and Toddler