When did yours start to go to sleep earlier? -update p2

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

When did yours start to go to sleep earlier? -update p2

Postby Juli » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi everyone,

Claire is 7 weeks old and generally sleeps very well, so I really can't complain. But she doesn't go to sleep for the night until 11pm. Until then it's just 5- or 10-minute catnaps with lots of awake time all evening. I don't really mind that much, but my husband is struggling with the fact that we're not getting any time to ourselves (iykwim :wink: ). And I can't remember when the other two started to go to sleep earlier in the evening. It wasn't so much of an issue with them, because it was never that late to begin with, more like 9pm.

If you can remember, at what age did yours start to go down earlier for the night?

Last edited by Juli on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: When did yours start to go to sleep earlier?

Postby Frances » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 pm

I started a strict routine with Otis at 6 weeks old, I put him down at 7pm every night and went up to feed and settle him as required. He took to it really well and was waking for about 4 feeds but otherwise sleeping 7am - 6am or 7am straight away.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Both of mine have cluster fed all evening when tiny. We started putting DD1 to bed at 6.45 when she was around 3 months old. And DD2 was about 4 months old when we started putting her down at the same time as her sister.

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:00 pm

As Frances said with the first 3 but at 9/12 weeks. Worked really well.

Baby no.4 had pain issues which made it difficult to put her down so was a law unto herself. For no apparent reason DC5 is also a law unto herself, doesn't do sleep and currently settles around midnight :waiting: However we have recently discovered if we can manage to keep her up in the day she will go down at 8pm :)

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:33 pm

DD was the same and started sleeping through from about 8pm from 11 weeks old but I never tried putting her to bed properly until then. DS has had a bedtime routine from day 1 because DD does, and he has slept from 7-8pm since the beginning.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Ds has only just started going to sleep about 9 ish some nights at 13 weeks but still a bit hit n miss.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 am

I never really put mine to bed before 6 mths they usually slep with us on the sofa, on us, on a carry cot ect ect but I'm fairly sure that they were settling about 8 ish from a few weeks old. By the time they were 9mths it was bed by 7.30 that doesn't really help though does it.
But I have to say I have no experience of bad nights other than 1 or 2 feeds I have been very lucky.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you all. It sounds like it really varies a lot from baby to baby. So we'll just have to wait and see. Last night she actually fell asleep in the bouncer about 9pm and was solidly asleep when I took her upstairs at 10. But of course I had to wake her up again to change her nappy, otherwise she would have been sodden by the morning. And then it took her a while to get back to sleep properly. But I think it's a good sign. We'll see how she goes over the next few weeks. I think I'm more likely to try moving bedtime earlier slowly rather than cold turkey, to give her body clock an opportunity to adjust. Just putting her down earlier at this stage won't work, as she just doesn't sleep at that time of the evening. She would just be lying awake crying.

I'll update in a few weeks (hopefully with an earlier bedtime).

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Emmet still stays with us downstairs but is usually asleep around 8/8.30pm. I take him up when I go & changing his nappy usually doesn't wake him but if it does, I feed him.

Now that he is 4 months, I shall soon start to put him to bed upstairs about 8pm (ish) which is what we did with the other 2. They still go to bed now by 7.30pm :D

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler