hf1

Tube feeding newborn

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Tube feeding newborn

Postby jclmellor » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:33 pm

do any mamas on here have a baby that is tube fed?
my 9 week old has been tube fed from birth. we had a great birth but babba didn't have a sucking reflex and doesn't drink anything orally. he seems normal in every other way - his heart, brain and kidneys have been checked and all seems normal so far. we are praying there is nothing else wrong and that it's just a feeding issue but we will have to wait and see how his development goes before we get a diagnosis. we've stopped going on google because it's so scary to see all the reasons why babies cannot suck.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Tube feeding newborn

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:35 pm

:-( :hug:

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:43 pm

@jclmellor Tegan was tube fed and then had gastrostomy fitted at 7 weeks, if you would like to pm me then please feel free xxx

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh I'm sorry to hear about your LO. It sounds like you've had a hard time, hopefully it will resolve itself soon. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:17 pm

My sister's daughter needed a feeding tube for a good while. She didn't have it from birth but from about week 6 due to a cleft soft palate and a major TT and top lip tie. Even using the special bottles for cleft babies she really really struggled.

My sister worked really hard to encourage LOs oral skills. She was able to give what she could orally with special bottles (they have since stopped making them!) and then using the tube for the rest which is a little different from the stage you are at at the moment.

Long and short of it was that I always felt my neice had a "dodgy swallow" and even after a lovely repair of the cleft and tongue and lip ties some oral problems remained. She has now been diagnosed as having severe oral and verbal dyspraxia but she is doing brilliantly. She is in school with her peers and she can now speak really clearly, is doing really well in school and even eats several different meals (after a few years of only eating two different things).

I know it isn't the same thing being an auntie as a mum in the same circumstances but I think my neice and my sister are amazing people and I hope things settle for you both you soon. :hug:

Return to Baby and Toddler