hf1

8 things your toddler needs

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

8 things your toddler needs

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:12 am

I've just read this on an email I got from baby centre. What do you think?

1. Show your love
2. Care for your child's basic needs
3. Talk to your child
4. Read to your child
5. Stimulate all his senses
6. Encourage new challenges
7. Take care of yourself
8. Find good childcare

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: 8 things your toddler needs

Postby ems101 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:25 am

i like it! not sure a toddler needs childcare, and i think 'good' childcare needs clarification, although i think thatr would be a book in itself!

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:48 am

ems101 wrote:i like it! not sure a toddler needs childcare, and i think 'good' childcare needs clarification, although i think thatr would be a book in itself!

the article goes onto explain "good childcare" is for those who have to go back to work and have no option but to use childcare. it talks about finding one that suits your child, they enjoy, and is safe and nuturing for them!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 am

It all sounds quite sensible - I would add smile lots, cuddle, have fun, tickle daily and make your child laugh to the list!

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 am

docmaggoo wrote:I've just read this on an email I got from baby centre. What do you think?

1. Show your love
2. Care for your child's basic needs
3. Talk to your child
4. Read to your child
5. Stimulate all his senses
6. Encourage new challenges
7. Take care of yourself
8. Find good childcare

It's a good start!

But the reality of that list is a tad more demanding, especially if you squeeze in a job as well as housekeeping, practical childcare stuff, and being a loving stimulating parent! Number 7 is quite tricky to fit into the mix by the time you've ticked off the rest.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:07 pm

I think it's good because it is simple and yes there is more to bringing up a child than that but you'll be amazed how many people forget that the most important thing a child needs is love! The point of this I think is to say:
"slow down, see that you're probably already doing good yet simple things that your child needs but also if you don't have time to be super Mum just make sure you're doing everything on this simple list, offer hugs and kisses, apologize when YOU have made a mistake or been grumpy etc, just be kind and understanding. I think it's basically a huge move from the old fashioned ideas of bringing children up which I feel creates a lot of problems and unhappiness, they need to be nurtured and this list explains that simply.

And the childcare part; they don't NEED to be in a nursery etc at this age but if they have to be make sure it's good and dont just go by how it looks or an oftsed report from 5 years ago saying it's perfect, go in get a feel and if you feel good and happy and almost like you want to stay and play yourself and like the staff are really 'with' the children and relaxed and comfortable with you being there then go for it, but avoid ones where you get a strange feeling like you shouldnt be there, or if you're child continues to be unsettled when you never ever thought your child is a child that would become distressed seperating from you, but as well as this a feeling of tension in the room then listen to your gut feeling and take them out!!
We've recently removed our child from Nanny Jo's nursery which is an expensive nursery with amazing rooms and outdoor area and animals because for months we felt awkward and ignored and the last straw was finding her alone the other side of the room leaning against some draws looking unwell :cry: before this a member of staff said in a very unkind voice "don't cry though!" as I left the room, i cannot explain the pain and confusion about what I should do after that moment. I reported to ofsted but nothing can ever remove the feeling of guilt and wonder at what went on there, i think because i'd done my nursery nurse training i picked up on things whereas other parents seemed to miss little things because it looks so good. So yes find good childcare but listen to your instinct; children don't need expensive rooms and equipment, they need love and care and no one can be as good as their parents, no one has that overwhelming emotional bond but some nurseries will have good staff that do care about each child and treat them with love and care, sadly there are many out there where the staff just don't care.

Return to Baby and Toddler