hf1

Moving baby to own room

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Moving baby to own room

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:28 pm

I guess it depends what level of risk you're prepared to accept. Mine both moved out of our room when they were about 8 months old. The risk of SIDS is small and there's nothing to say that if it's going to happen, being in the same room will stop it happening, it just decreases that risk. For me, it was a case of should it happen, could I live with myself if I'd not done everything I could to try and prevent it? I know I'd have blamed myself should it have happened and they were in their own room (regardless of whether that's logical or not!). (Of course, it could still have happened after they were 8 months old, but it was a much smaller risk by then as they were both mobile.)

ETA: And, just for the record, although both were technically in their own rooms at 8 months - to try and encourage less wakenings and more sleeping through - it made no difference to their sleeping. :hohoho: Both continued (well, Callum still continues!) to co-sleep at least part of the night in our bed.

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Jas (our first) was 8 months when we moved her out into her own room although she was in a cotbed as our room was huge , but if it wasn't I would have had a smaller cot (Ikea?) she co-slept with us occasionally but not often.

Harrison (our 2nd) was just over 6 months when i moved him - i didn't want to move him then but he'd outgrown the swinging crib and there was no space for his already bought cot but it was all good , he NEVER co-slept.

Do what you feel is best hun x

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:18 am

My ds moved out into his own room at 12 weeks, which was right for us. Go with your gut feeling x

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 am

I think you just have to go with what you feel is right for you.

Personally for me, it would be too early. We moved Darcy somewhere between 6-7 months and she still woke in the night most nights until she was almost 2 :roll: She has slept much better since moving into a proper single bed though. I plan to keep bump in with us for at least 6 months, but TBH he will probably be in with us until he is around a year as we are hoping to move next August and I dont want the hassle of moving him into his own room only to have to move him again a few months later. Plus our 3rd bedroom is a mess and is full of boxes so it would mean having to sort that out too :giggle: the other option would be moving him in with Darcy but I'm just not sure it would work as they would probably keep each other awake, although Darcy sleeps through anything if she's tired so may not be such a bad idea!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 am

I think we have decided that he will be in with us for longer. Yesterday was just a rash move in the sleepless frame of minds we were in! I felt quite strongly that they should be with us til 6 months, which was easy with Jen as she was small and still in her moses, but it looks like we will have to be a bit creative with James!

The safety of our baby is the upmost priority and im just not willing to risk that for the sake of sleep for him or us. I know its highly unlikely anything would happen, but i know i would never forgive myself if it did. Im not critising anyone who moved their baby out at this age, I think you just get a feel of what is right for you and your baby.

Thanks for everyones advice and opinions, once again i feel very lucky to have a great place to share such concerns xx

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 am

Actually, thinking about it im wrong - Scarlett was nearly 5months when she moved out of our room, i remembered this morning when thinking about it some more... 9weeks was when we started putting her 'to bed' on her own iykwim, settling her in her basket in our room and leaving to go downstairs for an hour or so, getting her into a routine.

I remember not wanting to move her but she was sleeping through apart from me disturbing her moving about so it seemed to make sense.

xx

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler