hf1

How can i get a 3 year old

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

How can i get a 3 year old

Postby laceybat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:45 pm

to have a nap in the day every other day when he's not had one in over a year. we put him down at 6.30 on the doctor say so but he still up but in his bed "reading " a story to his teddies :giggle: so do we put him to bed again at 6.30 tomorrow night, ( we just put a black out blind up in his room at last had it for weeeks but just not got round to it till now) or put him down when we normaly do

please help me

also how can ii get him to take his tummy medicne with out a fight every time :(

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: How can i get a 3 year old

Postby confusinglady » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:00 pm

I m sticking my neck out here ..........and I would be tempted to forget about the nap in the day, it could mess up the really good going to bed routine you ve just worked so hard on.
I think going into to bed and talking to his teddies at 6:30 is great, he s a better chance at falling asleep early than if he goes at 7. If he doesn't t go to sleep till 7:10 then it doesn't matter, he s had some wind down and quiet time. He s also learning that bed is a nice place to be and is more likely to be relaxed.
I hope that makes sense.
Xxxxx

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:05 pm

I would just keep putting him down at 6.30, even if he's awake he's still resting and hopefully he will get used to going down earlier. just think what you were asking everyone a month or so ago when Ryan was up at all hours, and now he's going down at a regular hour so it won't take long for him to get into the new routine.

As for the medicine i would be straight with him. riley has to take her 'magic poo lolly juice" everyday. I give it to her in water because i can't be sure she will eat the food if I sprinkle it on. To start with I used to bribe her to drink the water, but recently I've been telling her that she needs the medicine to make her poo nice and soft and not ouchy any more. She is old enough to realise that its helping her and she now asks for it everyday. Tell him why he needs it, and remind him every day that it stops the ouchie bit, he'll get it soon enough.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:08 pm

P. s medicine - is it that it tastes yucky? The thought of it? The control of you giving it to him?

We have mints if medicine is yucky. We have pretend appointment cards for things like the hair dressers for when they won t have their hair done ... For some reason a hand drawn pic of a brush and their name seems to help! You could have a piece of paper with meds on it with his name and pretend to that he is a customer and call him 'sir' and make him feel grown up.
I m all for games bribery and silly tricks ;)
' quick, let's see if we can make it magically disappear while mummy closes her eyes!' ' I wonder if the magic worm will come and eat it when daddy closes his eyes'
Sticker chart?
Good luck! Xxx

My avatar
Johanna21
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Johanna21 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:10 pm

I'd agree that if he's quiet and calm in bed then that's excellent even if he doesn't go straight to sleep. I find daytime naps a disaster as even half an hour can push getting to sleep at night back by 2 hours!

On a lighter note, when I read the title of this thread my first thought was - after the way she's behaved today, you can have mine!

No idea about the medicine, I have one who guzzles any type of medicine and the other needs to be pinned down and in a headlock to get the stuff into him then he spits it back out! Would reward stickers appeal to him?

Good luck

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:11 pm

confusinglady wrote:P. s medicine - is it that it tastes yucky? The thought of it? The control of you giving it to him?

We have mints if medicine is yucky. We have pretend appointment cards for things like the hair dressers for when they won t have their hair done ... For some reason a hand drawn pic of a brush and their name seems to help! You could have a piece of paper with meds on it with his name and pretend to that he is a customer and call him 'sir' and make him feel grown up.
I m all for games bribery and silly tricks ;)
' quick, let's see if we can make it magically disappear while mummy closes her eyes!' ' I wonder if the magic worm will come and eat it when daddy closes his eyes'
Sticker chart?
Good luck! Xxx

This is a good idea, we clean the toots's teeth by pretending to be Dr Elephant from Peppa, and they have to wait in the waiting room, then get called in etc. It does work.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:16 pm

I wouldn't worry about the daytime nap either, if Annabel has even 30-40 mins she doesn't go to sleep until 9pm, so we forgo it for an earlier bedtime. If she's really tired we'll often go and sit on her bed and I'll read her some stories while we have a cuddle, resting but not napping.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Nothing wrong with reading and relaxing before bed. He will get a chance to unwind and fall asleep in a relaxed state. Sounds good to me!

Why does he need a nap? He is too old to be still needing a day time nap - especially after all the hard work you did in getting his bed time routine improved.

Why does he need to go down earlier, is he still not getting enough sleep? HV & Drs dont know everything. Youre his mummy, you do what you think is best for him and you x

Poo medicine wise, we give it in the bath as part of her nightly routine (we only do it once a day, this works fine for her) and basically she takes her poo medicine before brushing her teeth - She understands the poo medicine makes her poo better and so she is happy to take it.

You could try explaining to him and let him take it himself.

Scarlett's comes with a little cup thing rather than a spoon so we dose it out then she takes it and drinks it before playing with the measuring cup in the bath hehe.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:34 pm

he need more sleep because he wakes so offter in the night due to the pain he's in. and they thing he's sleep deprived which would make sence as DP and i are as well. i think that you are all right i'm just questioning myself as i'm so tired.

as for medicen DP did it and told him it would make things better after a while and that he needs to take it twice a day when we give it to him and it will stop the pain when it starts to work and that he then needs to keep taking it so it eon't hurt again and he took it :shock:

thank you all for the help i most probley be bad for more as we get through this next thing

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler