hf1

Immunisations...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:23 pm

When are you supposed have the MMR? - Charlotte hasn't heard anything about it yet and she is 14 months.

I suppose like Steph, I am all for it but don't mind waiting while the docs sort it out :wink:

The thing with vaccinating is that it is for the good of the population. These people that say they don't have to do it because everyone else does and therefore they won't catch it make me maddest :x

I truly believe that as the research stands the benefits far outweigh any negatives and I fail to see any link between MMR and autism.

I had BCG at school - does that make me old?

Annette

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:48 pm

Charliemum wrote:
I had BCG at school - does that make me old?

Annette

Then I'm old too :D

Katie and Harry have both had all the jabs they've been called for. DH is a nurse and insisted they have MMR - I was a bit dubious but glad they had it.

Harry's not had any jabs since the MMR and he'll be 4 in November. I wonder when he'll be called for more?

Ali

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:08 pm

Charliemum wrote:I had BCG at school - does that make me old?

No, we had a TB outbreak and all this kids in Leicestershire were done a few years ago.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:33 pm

Annette wrote:
These people that say they don't have to do it because everyone else does and therefore they won't catch it make me maddest :x

I agree with you there Annette... I think if people have genuine reasons for not vaccinating having done their research that's fair enough but to do it for the reason you said is just pathetic...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:35 pm

skaheadpunk wrote:
Charliemum wrote:I had BCG at school - does that make me old?

No, we had a TB outbreak and all this kids in Leicestershire were done a few years ago.

It's funny really - when I was PG with Isabelle my MW almost had a fit when she found out I wasn't immunised against TB... She said I'd have to have it as soon as I gave birth as the risk in this area is quite high apparently...

But when I asked at my 8wk checkup (or whatever it is these days) she said I couldn't have it as they're phasing it out?!?! WTF! She agreed it was stuipd to phase it out as the risk is going up but said that was that...

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:03 pm

Well, I had to have an x-ray to check I didn't have TB, which lead to a rather embarrassing incident when they asked about piercings - my dad wasn't aware I had a nipple pierced and I'd intended to keep it that way!

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:58 pm

Jack's had all his jabs except MMR, we're deferring that because of his allergies. He has all his jabs in hospital anyway but we are still really nervous about the MMR (probably irrationally). We will do it at 2 probably.

Ericax

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:30 am

I have vaccinated both my kids, usually on time. The only one I haven't is the mmr. When Josh was little it was right at the peak of all the hype about the links to autism. I left it till 18 months as I just felt he was a bit bigger and better able to cope with any reactions, it broke my heart though and I remember crying over his cot. I've since doen much more reading about it and am not worried like last time. Saying that Louis is now 13.5 months and I still havent' gone in but that is more because he was ill at 12 months, then teething, then ill again so I've kept putting it off. However as he is now ok I need to make an appointment.

I agree about the people who refuse to because everyone else does, I hate that 'I'm alright mate' attitude.

My avatar
kittykins
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby kittykins » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Hi Steph,

i know this post was from ages ago but i just wanted to say that i'm waiting till Sophia is 18 months to have her MMR. i know there is no link to autism but at the back of my mind i am still worried. My cousin is autistic. The reason behind waiting till 18 months is that any autistic tendancies should have shown themselves by then so its just reassurance for the parent really. thats the only reason i know of anyway.
I'm also scared of Sophia having it as i dont like to make my baby ill!! i know thats a silly comment as it would be awful if she actually got any of the diseases, and i know she will have to have it soon, but i'm just putting it off for a bit.

xx

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler