hf1

Wits end

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Wits end

Postby ems101 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Ok Ladies, I really need your help. James started off being an ok sleeper for a newborn, and has gradually got worse with a few ups and downs in the middle. Hes been pretty bad lately with several wake ups for feeds and prefering to be in our bed rather than his own, and waking for the day at 4.30 ish. But the last 3 nights have been horrendous. I mean I am literally feeling sick with tiredness. He wakes just as we go to bed at around 10, so hes had about 3 hrs by this time. He had then refused to settle for more than about half an hour to an hour, so between us, we are up for most of the night. Hes not wet or cold, he had calprofen and that made no difference, he feeds and has a decent dinner, he's cleared his bowels, so its not that, and that usually leave the final option - just wanting to be cuddled and be in bed with us, but hes not even settling in our bed. What the hell is wrong with him?

We really really need a bit more sleep.

TIA!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Wits end

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Teeth? I've given up trying to guess what causes things now. No pearls of wisdom I'm afraid though. I recently bought a copy of the no cry sleep solution book which is great but I am too tired to follow it :lol: , am hoping DH will assist over half term when he's off work.

Hopefully it's a short phase :hug:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Teeth was the only thing I could think of too. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Isaac went through a horrendous stage of waking almost hourly and we put it down to a developmental leap and teething too.

It really is pigging miserable, but it will really not be like this forever!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks, nice to know its not just me/him/us. Sometimes its easier to think that there is no solution, just got to live it out!
WS thinking of getting a copy of that book too @Shaunie, anything's worth a try eh?!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Shaunie wrote:I recently bought a copy of the no cry sleep solution book which is great but I am too tired to follow it :lol:

Ha, this!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 am

:hug: sounds a bit like teeth or habit if its at about the same time. Perhaps three hours is his sleep cycle and he then wakes up.
How does he fall asleep at the beginning part of the night ie bedtime?
My dd1 didn t settle or sleep well for the first 9 months it was horrid so you have my sympathies.
I ve never read the no cry sleep solution but I think I did something similar.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Also, what are his daytime naps like? Does he get enough sleep in the day? I like the book but lots of it are things we already do, or just need to tweek. I got ours for 99p + post on ebay!

It talks about daytime routine, regular nap time, bedtime etc. How to pregress from bf to sleep, co-sleeping etc. I am just too tired to preservere which I know is what I actually need to do to move forward. @ems101

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Shaunie wrote:Also, what are his daytime naps like? Does he get enough sleep in the day?

This was our problem with Ewan at this sort of age - he wasn't sleeping enough in the day so was overtired and not sleeping at night either. Sleep begets sleep so once we sorted naps (feeds followed by long walks with him in the push chair for 3 or 4 days at the time we wanted him to nap!) his night time sleep improved a bit, although he was never a good sleeper.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler