hf1

Side sleeping and SIDs?

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Side sleeping and SIDs?

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:42 am

Does anyone know if side sleeping is ok or not recommended?

Oscar hates sleeping on his back. I wouldn't want him on his tummy yet as he's so teeny but is side sleeping ok? Dh will be adapting Eddie's old crib soon so that we can have Oscar in a co-sleeping cot which will make me less nervous.

So far, I haven't found any info on side sleeping, only tummy sleeping.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Side sleeping and SIDs?

Postby Mareth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 am

I read recently that it reduces the risks from something like 1 in 1000 to 1 in 1500, so whilst it is quite statistically significant, either way is still relatively low risk.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Brilliant, thanks.

Hopefully he'll allow me to put him down this afternoon if I let him sleep on his side.

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Lil' Dot slept on her side when she was tiny, even in the hospital crib she would wriggle onto her side! Now she always sleeps on her front with her knees tucked under and her bum in the air :giggle: If that's how your lo is most comfy, go with it, they are constantly changing guidelines anyway!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Isaac & Emmet both slept on their sides. At times Emmet slept briefly on his tummy but he was in bed with me at the time so not so bad.

Lots of babies do sleep safely on their sides, some even on their front but that would scare me!

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Eddie was a tummy sleeper but not until about 3 months. I would be too worried to let O sleep on his tummy just yet.
Did you put anything in front of baby to stop them rolling onto their tummy?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 pm

I didn't use anything Jess but they never rolled. Isaac was in a crib, Emmet co-slept. They weren't able to bring their shoulder over to roll onto their tummy but of course not all babies are the same! Sara's baby Leon is a tummy roller!

Some babies are so uncomfortable on their backs. I'm fairly sure Danika let Aubrey sleep on his tummy. I let Emmet sleep on his tummy for short periods when I was awake so I could massage his back and he would release wind due to the pressure on his tum, lol!

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 am

Holly was and still is a tummy sleeper but she would not sleep on her back so it was tummy sleep or no sleep

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 am

The advice is once they can roll then they are safe to sleep however they do I think although best to check fsid website. Leon sleeps on his side at night I put him on his back but he wriggles lol if I am awake I feel happy even if in his front

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler