hf1

How to stop him eating his hands?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

How to stop him eating his hands?

Postby Mareth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am

Eamonn is terrible for sucking and chewing on his hands, constantly, and he gets himself worked up about it.
It's not necessarily a hunger thing, he does it straight after a feed sometimes.
I think he's just a sucker, he's always had his hand up by his face, even in the womb, his scan pics had his hands by his face, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was sucking away in there lol.
Is there any way I can discourage it? Should I just leave him to it?

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: How to stop him eating his hands?

Postby little1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 am

Ds is a mad hand sucker, started about 12 weeks, now at 22 weeks it is definitely getting less as he is now using his hands to grab and hold things. I think its just a developmental thing as my 18wk nephew is the same. It's annoying as slobber everywhere is not pleasant but not sure there is much you can do about it, if you put mitts on they just get slobbery too.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:54 am

I d leave him to do it ;) sounds like a sucker to me. Mine have been like that, dd1 found a toy she liked to suck when she was older and Dd2 found her thumb ( she sucked in the womb we think and might have even been born sucking it!) at about 2/3 weeks old!

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Another who says leave them to it.

Junior was born with his hand by his face and has sucked his fingers ever since.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:36 pm

yes I agree. Leave him to it. It's a bit of comfort

My avatar
jennifer91
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jennifer91 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:05 pm

I do hope this is not a serious complaint. All babies do this and it's vital to their development. It's neither a phase or a problem. It's what they have to do to learn. and I quote.... 'Mouthing Toys: Once babies learn to bring their hands and objects to their mouths, they greatly increase their oral motor and touch experiences. Mouthing toys is an important way children learn to control the movements of their jaws and tongues-critical ingredients for chewing and speech. While gumming a teething ring, a child also is learning how to bite hard and bite soft, how to hold things with the jaw, and how to move the tongue separately from the jaw. Where all previous oral experiences have been relatively symmetrical (evenly distributed throughout the mouth), mouthing toys helps children realize they have different parts in their mouths, such as sides, tops, and bottoms. This is vital information for more complicated oral activities later on' Hope this helps.

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Leave him to it my draught is a thumb sucker. She did it in the womb too. She was born with a squashed nose from where her finger had been on her nose.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:41 pm

You could try one of these if you wanted. I saw them on Facebook it's called a gummee glove! Just a thought. X

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:36 pm

This is reallllly Old!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler