hf1

'Sleeping through' - what counts?

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

'Sleeping through' - what counts?

Postby epsilon1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm curious, since I met someone at the local children's centre who was thrilled her baby was now sleeping until 4am :shock: I said I wouldn't want to be up at that time and she said that was when her OH got up so it was fine... Just got me thinking.

My current situation (subject to change of course) is that Junior will go to sleep sometime between 8.30 and 9.30 and quite often not wake up again until 3.30-4.30ish; so last night it was 9.20pm until 4.40, the night before it was 8.30 until 4.15. He'll then need to be fed, and will got to sleep again until about 7ish. What happens after that varies a bit.

This is a massive improvement on when he wouldn't sleep until midnight (or the early days when it could be 3am...), but still a bit frustrating, since I don't really get into sleep mode until 10.30ish (unless I'm exhausted), so it feels like he's getting a jump on me :giggle: by going to sleep that much earlier.

I may also say that what really killed me during his recent cold was the lack of DAYTIME sleeps (he'd wake up if I put him down) - seriously hard work and I'm way behind on the ironing :roll:

Anyway, my question is: what I am really shooting for here? 10 hours each night? 12? Plus an hour's nap in the day? Or two?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: 'Sleeping through' - what counts?

Postby sim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm on my phone and can't see how old he is?
IEwan didn't sleep through (as in go to bed at a sensible time and stay asleep until morning) until well past 1. Even then his sleeping routine was disturbed by teeth or colds etc.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:49 pm

sleeping through to me would something like 7-7 but Izzy doesn't always do that and she is 4 :hohoho:

Leon is 4 months he has settled in fab at night he "goes to bed" which means sleeps in my arms downstairs OR in bed next to me if i have an early night between 8 and 10pm then he sleeps all the way till 8- 10 am without "getting up" he feeds about 6 times during this but goes straight back to sleep. Daytime naps are rare he catnaps in my arms or in the sling.

Izzy was different she would do long blocks of sleep day and night from very young. They are all different :D

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:28 pm

littlesez wrote:sleeping through to me would something like 7-7

wss, and I don't think it'll ever happen here.... :night: :coffee: ! My 27 month old tends to sleep for 8 hours, need a quick settle and then will sleep another hour or 2, but it's almost guaranteed he'll be up anytime between 5 and 6. For us that's as sleeping through as we'll get till he's dropped naps and can be properly worn out during the day!

By 2 weeks the baby was sleeping 5 hours then up every 1.5 / 2 and that counted as sleeping through! But now he's decided that's not enough milk any more and does either 3 or 4 hours then every 1 / 2 hours.

It's definitely different expectations from everyone I know about what sleeping through is!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:37 pm

After 4 years of trying, I count sleeping through as the amount of sleep I NEED to get through the next day with minimal amount of caffeine! :giggle: :giggle:

I don't count trips to the loo, or a quick dummy put in as 'waking up' but I do count me having to be up for more than 5 minutes, or repeated getting out of bed for no reason.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 pm

To me sleeping through is roughly 10-12hrs contiunual sleep but it is actually classed as just 4hrs sleep :shock: !

Emmet was sleeping from about 7pm, woudl cry out for a second around midnight & then would sleep until about 6am & I class that as sleeping through.

I guess anything from midnight until 7am would count in my eyes though!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm

I count midnight to at least 5am as sleeping through - I can function on that with some caffeine! I am waiting impatiently for Lachlan to go three hours between feeds at the moment to 12am-5am seems like my idea of bliss just now...

I am ignoring Ewan's sleep just now as dealing with him at night had been delegated to DH for now!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 pm

I would agree with PPs who say sleeping through is 7-7 ish (altho Martha never really slept 12 hours at one stretch until she started school).

At 6 months Martha was a nightmare waking hourly for a dummy. we weaned her off that and then a good night would be 7.30/ 8 till 6.30/ 7. but then she started teething so would wake for that.

She dropped her daytime nap at 27 months when she started being a nightmare to settle at bedtime. She would still nap in the day occasionally until she was 3 and a half, and always on holiday until our last holiday in Florida at Easter (she was almost 6 and still had the odd late afternoon nap!).

I've never tolerated early morning waking. She did it for a while and I trained her out of it (no controlled crying but it's not easy). But I can't function getting up that early and actually neither could she - I'd rather do without the nap later but have her sleep till a normal time.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 pm

@northernruth want to come round to my house and train Riley not to wake up at the Butt crack of Dawn? i've tried everything. i'm even willing to pay your airfair and tempt you with all you can eat BBQ for as long as it takes :giggle:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler