hf1

Early waking

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Early waking

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Emmet has been waking at 5.20am for the last few months. Is there anything I can do to encourage a later start to the day?!

He naps at 11am for 1hr 20mins & is asleep between 6.30/7pm. Clutching at straws I guess!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Early waking

Postby Caroline » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:26 pm

The baby whisperer has a strategy for dealing with this but it's a bit radical! I have done it with both of mine when they have been waking out of habit (ie at the same time each day). What you do is set your alarm for 1 hour before they normally wake, so 4.20 in your case. You go into the room and gently rub their tummy/arm/back. Not enough to wake them but just to bring them out of their deep sleep. Mine would move around a little. Then you go back to bed. If you can do this for 3 nights it will break the pattern and mine stopped the habitual waking. I was so knackered with India waking at 4.45 each day I was prepared to try anything!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm trying to decide if I am brave enough to try this....

@Shaunie, you try it first!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Caroline wrote:The baby whisperer has a strategy for dealing with this but it's a bit radical! I have done it with both of mine when they have been waking out of habit (ie at the same time each day). What you do is set your alarm for 1 hour before they normally wake, so 4.20 in your case. You go into the room and gently rub their tummy/arm/back. Not enough to wake them but just to bring them out of their deep sleep. Mine would move around a little. Then you go back to bed. If you can do this for 3 nights it will break the pattern and mine stopped the habitual waking. I was so knackered with India waking at 4.45 each day I was prepared to try anything!

4.45 isn't an early morning wake up, that's still the middle of the night :shock:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:25 pm

@gilbertandmartha I know! Thankfully we sorted it very quickly when she was small and never had the problem again with her.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Urrgh you have my sympathy, I remember Louis going through a similar stage right in the middle of winter bbbrrrrrrr! Now I have to get up then for work a lot of mornings and it is really not pleasant!

I like the Baby Whisperer idea go on girls try it and let us know if it works :twisted: :giggle:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 pm

I tried some bw stuff with Jonah that worked!

Off out now so will be back later witj a plan ;-)

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 pm

I have no advice but I'm stalking :giggle: I have a dancing clapping baby at about 5.15am every morning, I don't think I'm brave enough to try sneaking and stroking an hour earlier incase I wake him :giggle:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:27 pm

I think I might give it a try as it does look habitual at 5.20, occasionally 5.20am. Jonah started waking early but he was almost 3 so we put him to bed earlier for about 5 days until his wake up time shifted & it worked.

Emmet is too young for a gro clock type thing which we have also used & he already goes to bed early so not much room to manouvre there.

I shall hopefully update within a week with good news @JabberJabber :wink: :loopy:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler