Can't settle himself in his cot.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Can't settle himself in his cot.

Postby littlesez » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Leon has turned into a crazy boob monster, rarely naps and feeds every 1-2 hours day and night :evil:
so i have nothing useful to say except "this too shall pass" sorry! :lol:

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59 am

Hannahboo wrote:Would you consider co-sleeping just so that you can get some decent sleep? TBH it just sounds like normal baby behaviour. Noah was a great sleeper as a newborn but when he got to about 7 months his sleep pattern became awful and he only wanted to be fed to sleep. I tried everything I could think of and it didn't make any difference. Now if he wakes and doesn't settle easily he comes in with us where he can feed whilst I am still resting/sleeping.

In pricnciple, yes. However he does have this awful tendency to try to crawl off the edge of beds, and when I have slept on the same bed as him (not many times) I actually sleep less well when he is asleep since I worry about rolling on him.

@littlesez oh well, nice to know it's not just me! Had an awful night last night, but he's just had an amazing morning nap :widesmile:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Us too ! Leon slept for ONE WHOLE HOUR this morning :)

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:17 pm

The only way round this is probably either to co sleep or to stop feeding him to sleep. Elizabeth Pantley has a lot of good stuff about gradually getting them used to not feeding to sleep. Babies that are fed or rocked to sleep need that "prop" to get back to sleep when they wake. I'm not being preachy here, Martha's "prop" was a dummy and at her worst (around 7 and a half months) she was waking every hour throughout the night. We weaned her off it over 3 nights and she slept much better after that.

Until she started teething of course.................. :devil:

My avatar
PoppyPainting
Clothie
Clothie

Postby PoppyPainting » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:07 pm

epsilon1 wrote:I saw him asleep on his front...

At 7 months your lo should be fine to sleep safely on his front because he'll have sufficient head control to move if he ends up face planted in the mattress, I tiptoed in and out the room to check loads of times when my lo started rolling herself onto her front to sleep because to see her on her front panicked me, but I could see she was breathing fine with her head turned so now I trust her! Sometimes I rock Evie to sleep in my arms (she's 8 months old tomorrow) and then v gently rhythmically pat her back. Then I lay her in her cot on her tummy and continue patting her back in the same rhythm until she's sleeping soundly. She is able to self settle but after a few days on hol in a travel cot her sleeping's gone a bit rubbish but this is working for us for now!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm starting to use some Elizabeth Pantley techniques with Lachlan.
@littlesez I think the two Ls have been communicating without our knowledge as we have had 1-2 hourly feeds 24/7 for the last couple of weeks!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:21 pm

I do like no cry sleep solution :) but Leon isn't a fan off pantley technique he just loves boob !

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:16 pm

northernruth wrote:The only way round this is probably either to co sleep or to stop feeding him to sleep. Elizabeth Pantley has a lot of good stuff about gradually getting them used to not feeding to sleep. Babies that are fed or rocked to sleep need that "prop" to get back to sleep when they wake. I'm not being preachy here, Martha's "prop" was a dummy and at her worst (around 7 and a half months) she was waking every hour throughout the night. We weaned her off it over 3 nights and she slept much better after that.

Until she started teething of course.................. :devil:

He's teething now. I think there are two issues though generally - feeding to sleep (in the first place) and re-settling himself if he wakes up enough to roll over at night.

I completely see the logic of needing to wean him off feeding to sleep, but jeez I think I'll be a zombie while it happens. How do you do it 'gradually' (sorry to ask you to summarise a whole book)? He does wake up a bit as I put him down, and sometimes manages to go to sleep having had slightly open eyes.

Also, he's quite capable of dropping off to sleep happily in his pushchair or car seat, or in a sling. I sometimes wonder if he needs to be immobilised a bit.

I've watched him a couple of times recently rolling onto his front when he's just fallen asleep. Sometimes he can re-settle, but other times he just can't and ends up sitting up crying, or even pulling himself up and standing crying.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:10 pm

This is gonna sound daft but I found the whole thing easier when I just accepted that babies are just babies they will do what they want :hohoho:

Tonight Leon self settled which if rare I thought fab ! But then he has woken hourly since.

I give up trying to figure things out what will be will be :D

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler