hf1

Book Review - Raising your spirited Child

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Book Review - Raising your spirited Child

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:26 pm

I've been meaning to read this for a while now, as we've always known Riley was 'spirited', and to be honest normal 'whats wrong with my child' books are depressing when you've got a spirited kid because everything is wrong in those books!

But this is a complete relevation, by the second page it was describing Riley, by the 4th page lockie, and all the way have been bits and pieces of Lola!

The author completely deals with normal life's struggles for these types of kids. She's categorises them as 'spunky' or spirited, and then breaks down their personalities further into things like extroverted or introverted, slow to adapt, sensitive and more.

Then she really goes into great detail on how their minds are working, during everyday situations and ways in which to deal depending on what type of personality trait they have.

I need to go back and re-read again, probably a couple of more times. But an example would be, a slow to adapt kid (like Riley) has already decided how something will happen, and if it doesn't happen they way they want then they just can't deal with it.

For example the other night DH 'threw' Riley into bed, she had a complete meltdown because she had already planned on hopping up the stairs. Our normal reaction would have been 'just get over it' and then get into a battle because we thought it was insignificant, to her it is everything. So I just said quietly to DH, let her climb back down and do it her way. She did and within seconds she was beaming and happy to go to bed.

The book is packed with advice and ways to approach situations, to stop the battles, and is constantly repeating that the spirited child isn't acting in a certain way to annoy you, but because they are wired a little differently. It has loads of phrases to use in situations that help encourage their individuality and help them see that their quirks can be advantageous and shouldn't be seen as a disadvantage,

All in all the best parenting book I have ever read.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Book Review - Raising your spirited Child

Postby confusinglady » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Ooooo sounds good, I think I might have to get it.
I m sure we ve said before that Riley and my dd1 are similar.... We would have the same discussion.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Wow, as I said, sounds like Ewan!

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:29 pm

I think I should read this. It sounds easier than having to learn it on the way even though my spirited one is 9!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Jellybelly6 wrote:I think I should read this. It sounds easier than having to learn it on the way even though my spirited one is 9!

@Jellybelly6 there is lots in there about all ages, and lots about raising their self esteem

Return to Baby and Toddler