hf1

Grunting, groaning and fussing all night.

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Grunting, groaning and fussing all night.

Postby Kim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:57 am

As the title says, Willow spends the night grunting, groaning and fussing, but she hardly ever cries. We are not sure if she is asleep or awake most of the time and she only seems to do it in our room.
Last night she slept from 8pm to 11.30 downstairs in the Moses basket. Then DH brought her up to the cot and she carried on sleeping until 12.30. She had a feed and then it started and it is driving DH mad. She grunted and groaned and kicked her legs in between feeding at 2am, 3.30am, 5am and again at 6.30.
DH thinks she obviously doesn't like being in our room and wants to move her into her own room and I really don't, but I think at some point I am going to have to give in.
She sleeps soundly during the day sometimes in the Moses basket and sometimes in the cot in our room.
Any suggestions?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Grunting, groaning and fussing all night.

Postby littlesez » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:19 am

My suggestion is DH in a spare room :hohoho:

Sorry not much help really, but we are usually musical beds all night in this house! how old is bubs again? they should sleep in your room til at least 6 months as recommended by FSIDS xx

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:56 am

She was only 5weeks on Saturday.

Kim

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:59 pm

She is still brand new ! Newborn babies are supposed to stir and fuss it's important they are near mum to regulate their breathing. Did the HV or midwife go through sleeping ? Maybe ask them to do it when your dh is there so he realises how important it is. Please don't "give in " your instincts are right hun xx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Moses basket in your room?

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:16 pm

My dd was 7 months before we tried own room put mosses basket in your room. We still bed share from 2am every night. Baby's waking is a natural evolutionary thing to stop them passing away in their sleep.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:05 pm

I agree, 5 weeks is still very teeny tiny newborn. My baby is 5.5 months and about a month ago DH was wanting to put her in own room (largely because of things other people were telling him... But that's another story!) Anyway, when I showed him the info on SIDS and recommended staying in parents room until at least 6 months he instantly changed his mind and agreed to wait. If that doesn't work it might also help to point out that if put in her own room those grunts and groans are very likely going to raise up to crying because you won't be noticing her warning signs so won't be able to get to her as quickly... A crying baby in the middle of the night (probably several times if she feeds any where near as much as mine) would ultimately be much worse for all 3 of you!
Good luck and stick to your guns :thumbsup:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:25 pm

As the others have said, all perfectly normal for such a teeny baby who is far too small to have a opinion on sleeping in her own room. At 5 weeks she will just want you.
Is she bringing up wind after the night feeds? That might be exacerbating the grunting etc.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler