hf1

baby massage

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: baby massage

Postby Pinchette » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:37 pm

What a shame , baby massage is fantastic. I still use it sometimes on my toddler.
When I went, the lady advised not to use nut-based oils but also not to bother with expensive massage ones, just ordinary cooking oil works fine.
If you want to do it at home, you can, just use not too firm but not too gentle strokes, make sure that you are both relaxed and nice and warm and do it gradually.
I did a 8 weeks course and the first week, we just did legs.
What you do is you start by massaging the whole leg from foot to top of the thigh (let's say 6 times), then you do the foot : little toes one by one, then underside of foot (make two fingers walk along), then the top (3 strokes from toes to start of the ankle), then circles around the ankle and finish off by doing the whole leg again but this time from thigh down to ankle.
Repeat with the other leg.
The next week, you can do the arms the same way as the legs.
For the tummy:
hold your baby's feet with one hand and with the other give 3 strokes from tummy down the leg all the way to the feet.
Tummy massage: with your left hand draw small circles clockwise and with your other hand draw half-moon on the top of the tummy and above your left hand (sorry it's quite hard to explain)
Then make your right fingers "walk" across the tummy from left to right (that ususally tickles them and they laugh)
Another move it to "write" I love you on your baby's tummy.

Let me know if you want other moves for face, back and chest.
The first few times, your baby might be restless and cry a bit but they soon get to enjoy it.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:50 pm

Fantastic explanation Gisele...

We used grape-seed oil as it absorbs into the skin well and isn't as greasy as others can be... Quite cheap in the supermarkets too.

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:24 pm

Grapeseed oil! that's the one. I couldn't remember the name

My avatar
donna4
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby donna4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Thats brill will nip to supermarket soon then give everyones advice and tips a go later :D

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler