hf1

Silly Q?

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Silly Q?

Postby amba » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:58 am

The umbilical cord is starting to smell, I wasn't given any advice on how to clean it. With my other 3 I just wiped it with cool boiled water and cotton wool, then put powder on it. Is this still the case? Or do I just leave it? I don't see the midwife again till Saturday, and it's probably a silly question to ask :shock:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Silly Q?

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:14 am

There's never a silly question ;)
I just cleaned with cooled boiled water and cotton wool too. Not sure about powder. Hopefully it will fall off soon!
Xx

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby amba » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:24 am

I keep thinking he's done a poo! :giggle:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:28 am

I'd give you mw a call get her to check it. Don't think it's meant to smell

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:08 am

I'd wash with cool boiled water but wouldn't put powder on cos don't want to irritate it. Leave to dry uncovered I guess or maybe gently pat dry.
In terms of smelling it depends how much it smells (I know this is sort of impossible to quantify)! We had to take our LO to hospital at 4 days cos they thought she had infected bellybutton and ended up on drip. Having said that I'd say don't panic and give your midwife a call because they really won't mind. My baby also started a high pitched scream which contributed to being sent to hospital. They also found after 24hrs of being on a drip that the results showed there wasn't an infection in the end anyway.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:59 am

No such thing as a silly question! Rémy's also got a bit smelly just before it came off, I just made sure I gave it a good wash and checked for any signs of infection (redness, swelling, puss, heat, or bad smell). Let someone know if any of those things are happening or you are concerned. Even now it is a funny shaped belly button (like a spiral / s shape) so it looks a bit closed and it sometimes gets a bit funky!

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby amba » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I gave my doctors surgery a call and they rang me back. The doctor told me to use cooled boiled water with a little bit of salt in it. I told him it smells, but he wasn't concerned. I feel better now

Return to Baby and Toddler