hf1

Babywearing and napping issues

My avatar
Mayshaka
Clothie
Clothie

Babywearing and napping issues

Postby Mayshaka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:43 am

Hey there, I'm sure some of you have lots of experience with baby wearing so I'd really appreciate your insights!

My little guy is 6 months old now, we are demand feeding and he feeds to sleep (if not in the car or buggy). I have no problem with that and we cosleep happily, he feeds several times to resettle in the night. The issue I have is with daytime naps. He has found napping difficult since newborn, he basically needs to feed to sleep and stay on me. If I sneak away from the bed or put him down he wakes up. And I have an older child I would like to be playing with etc. Instead lots of afternoons involve me sitting with a sleeping baby in arms while we read or she watches cartoons.

The solution seems to be baby wearing, but he just gets worked up as he wants to feed in there. I used to babywear my first little girl all the time, so I miss it. He is happy there if not tired. I have tried backcarrying, but don't get on with the Ergo like that. Is it time to try a woven wrap or mei tai maybe. With my first baby I found there was no room for a dummy in a front carry as I am small chested, so I don't think that would work.

Would appreciate any tips or reassurance! I don't know anyone IRL with the same parenting practices, but I just feel like my older child is missing out on so much one-on-one time, because when I'm not holding baby I have to cook, do laundry etc. We are just always rushing as baby still feeds every 2 hours too. Please help!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Babywearing and napping issues

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:59 am

I m not experienced in wovens , some other lovely ladies will be along with info on that I m sure.

Have you thought about a ring sling ? That would be perhaps a bit easier to get LO into once he is asleep?

My avatar
Mayshaka
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mayshaka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:34 pm

That's a really interesting idea. I have a Maya wrap. Can't feed him in it comfortably, but I might try to feed him sitting sort of with the sling on so when he dozes off I could tighten it up. Thanks for the idea!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:13 am

I could never get the hang of sling feeding. I think feed to sleep with sling on then adjust when asleep. They Luke to be next to your heartbeat

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

I haven't been able to successfully feed in the sling either.
I only have 1 LO so I'm certainly no expert but have you tried feeding first and then putting in the sling and going out rather than just staying indoors? My dd isn't a great sleeper or napper either but I did find going for walks with her in sling worked wonders as long as she'd already fed. Now the weather is getting better you could take your daughter over to the park or something so she is having a fun time with you and hopefully buba will be asleep by time you get there?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:39 pm

My DS2 used to feed to sleep but he would also sleep happily on my back in a woven wrap without being fed to sleep.
There are tons of tutorials on you tube for different carries. I'd recommend trying back carries for the first few times when your LO is awake and happy - it takes a bit of practice to get the knack of it.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Watching replies with interest as I have a baby that has had arms to carry him since birth but with the kids back in school, no mil we are just 2 with a house to renovate!

Return to Baby and Toddler