Food at 8 months?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Food at 8 months?

Postby clothmama » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm struggling with if I'm doing the food thing right. This is ridiculous, I feel like a first time parent again :oops: At the moment he has:
BF: usually porridge made with full fat milk and fruit puree
Lunch: Either pasta, couscous, potato, sweet potato as sticks / finger food or sometimes I mash it all (he gets fed up of BLW!) often with a bit of creme cheese or we've just started chicken / baby rissoles.
Dinner: as above or sometimes just some fruit and pettite suisse (not sure what that is in English, it is a type of unsweetened yoghurt sort of stuff!). If one of lunch / dinner is light then I make the other a bit more solid.

He isn't really having snacks. Am I giving him enough? What do you do? I don't want to give him jars but sometimes I wonder if the odd one would make life easier as sometimes I just run out of inspiration! @PixieFix your LO is almost the same age, how is she eating?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Food at 8 months?

Postby clothmama » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:22 pm

I just want to add my sister has confused me as she was here last week and telling me how much her (huge) boys ate at that age so I'm amazed she can remember (I can't :oops: I've done a degree and a masters between now and the last baby!!) I can't remember and am now doubting myself especially with the poor sleeping!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:14 pm

Food for fun until they are 1 :)

If I could go back in time to all the months I was stressing about food I would tell myself to stop worrying.

Xx

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 pm

My LO is 16 months and she really goes up and down when it comes to eating. I haven't done jars but am by no means an inspired cook (wish I was). Omlette filled with veg and cheese seems a favourite at the mo and if she's having a day of fussing with fruit I blitz some banana (or whatever I have in at the time) with milk and she has a milkshake (although not sure that's suitable under 1?).
I am trying to stop worrying so much though (easier said than done) because her weight is always consistent with her line on the growth chat (you know the one in the red book), so regardless of whether she's had a few weeks of stuffing her face or being really picky it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:39 am

I think that sounds fine! How about some soft sarnies? Peanut butter, humous, cheese?

Flaked fish was also popular with mine.

I quite firmly believe that babies need food post 6m. I agree that quantities will differ between children but that they do need to eat, its not just for fun. Snack wise, I think 3 meals and two snacks or big breastfeeds should be fine.

Sleep is such a tricky issue, and could be linked to food BT could be so many other things.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:18 am

littlesez wrote:Food for fun until they are 1 :)

If I could go back in time to all the months I was stressing about food I would tell myself to stop worrying.

I know that really and I'm not really worried, he eats really really well, just not sure about starting snacks and quantities and wanted to see what others are doing really!

ems101 wrote:How about some soft sarnies? Peanut butter, humous, cheese?

I have tried this, the 'sandwich' bread here is pretty rubbish though and a bit dry which he doesn't like! he did like creme cheese with ham chopped through so might try that again. I should make some humous too (you can't buy it here!).

ems101 wrote:Flaked fish was also popular with mine.

He did like fish when I tried it, must do that more!

Dancing mum wrote:Omlette filled with veg and cheese

That's a good idea, I tried scrambled eggs and he wasn't keen (I think I'd overcooked it a little to be fair!)

Thanks girls!

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:04 am

EJ gets three meals and usually two snacks a day. It goes a little bit like this:

Breakfast - mostly porridge with fruit puree (much the same as you it sounds like) and sometimes toast, weetabix or eggy bread.

Morning snack - either rice cakes, bread sticks, crackers, fruit, vegetable sticks or pieces of potato. Rice cakes with peanut butter is a favourite. We sometimes have those organic corn snacks that you can get for babies and I think once I gave her some cornflakes.

Lunch - this tends to be either something I defrost from the freezer, a sandwich or a bit of what we are eating if I am organised enough. Things I freeze include broccoli or cauliflower cheese, macaroni cheese, tomato sauce for pasta, green sauce for pasta (this is a great recipe, I'll post it when I have more time. It can be given just off a spoon as well without the pasta), baked aubergine and lentils, split pea dhal or lentil dhal (these last three I either serve with rice, veg puree or couscous). I also freeze various vegetable purees that I can mix with veg, scrambled egg or just give as a puree. Sometimes I give vegetable fingers on the side. Occasionally I've done things like polenta soldiers or vegetarian burgers (we are vegetarians), I've also made potato and sweet potato chips or just mash up some potato with cheese and milk. Then she has afters, fruit, fruit puree, rice pudding or yoghurt. I usually get natural yoghurt and give it to her as it is or mix it with fruit puree. (I will just add most of the fruit puree we have is out a pouch).

Afternoon snack - Same as morning one but she also has a bottle.

Dinner - Same as lunch.

Some days she eats loads and I feel like she is never going to stop eating, some days she doesn't eat much. And I try to make sure she gets loads of water, she sleeps better when she drinks well.
Last edited by PixieFix on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:17 pm

Percy is only 2 weeks younger than remy isn't he @clothmama?

He eats 3 meals which I still mostly mash it fork for him. Obviously the developmental delay and seating issues mean that he struggles to self feed, but he loves solids if I can help.

Most days he his routine is
Wakes at 7 ish. Usually 2 bf (more if he wakes earlier) before breakfast st about 8.30 (porridge made with ebm followed by fruit)
He has another be at 9.30 ish followed by a nap. Another be at 11ish.
Lunch is at 12-12.30 usually past or lentil curry etc. or sometimes scrambled eggs and toast. He has about a tablespoonful, then some fruit of yoghurt if he's still hungry.
He has another feed at about 1.30 then a sleep, feeds on waking before tea at about 4.30, which is often soup or salad, again with fruit of yoghurt if he's hungry. Salads are often blitzed still as he finds finger foods really hard going . We go through a lot of avocados!
He will have a couple more feeds before bed at 7.
People tell me I'm breastfeeding him too much, but he asks for it and is still so tiny that I can't increase solids much more even if I wanted to. He's growing, smiling, signing for food and enjoying s variety of foods. I don't think I could ask for anything else :D

Meeting friends with similar sad babies, the amount they eat seems so variable. If remy is enjoying himself and gaining weight then I think that's all he needs to be doing at this age x

Return to Baby and Toddler