Headbanging?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Headbanging?

Postby clothmama » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:07 am

Rémy has started banging his head on the floor when he is either very cross or in a lot of pain (not sure if it is the crossness on it's own or always teeth pain related). The problem is that our floors are tiles and he does it hard :doh: :drama: I vaguely remember Josh doing it for a while but not sure what I did to stop him.

Anyone else had this or have any ideas?

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Headbanging?

Postby LynniferT » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Ouch...never had a headbanger, can you ignore it and move him to another room/safe place everytime he does it, to break the habit?

If distraction doesn't work, you may have to crochet him a helmet ;)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:43 pm

:x :x :x crochet padded headband coming up - seriously he even headbanged the glass panel door tonight :doh: and I'm sure that was cross not pain!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Maybe a combo of cross and pain. They don't understand emotions in the same way we do, so if his teeth are itching and annoying, he may locate zone of his anger/frustration there.

Scary if he can potentially hurt himself, padded head band sounds good!

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:15 pm

My son who's 2 and a half head bangs but doesn't so much now, he's learnt it hurts but he did it when he tantrumed. Anything could set him off from being told no to taking something away it's just how they deal with emotion.
We have laminate and he once went outside and tried to head butt the concrete but I stopped him.
All I did was put my hand in the way of the floor, I tried to ignore most of the tantrum and just protected his head where possible, it's not always possible to catch it though but the worst they'll do is get a red mark.
When he calmed down a bit id give him a cuddle, now he just lays on the floor kicks a bit and screams we ignore that now until he's calmed down.
Communicating clearly and letting them know beforehand if you will be changing routine or taking something away helps stop tantrums

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:36 pm

:hug:
Don't think my girls have ever done that, but do not sound nice :hug:

Return to Baby and Toddler