hf1

What are you doing with your baby / toddler today?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

What are you doing with your baby / toddler today?

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:28 am

Rémy is great fun but very very bored very very quickly! When he is bored he headbutts the floor too at the moment so I'm on a mission to keep him well entertained! So far this morning we have taken Louis to school, had breakfast, read about 10 books, attempted some sensory play (quote from chat)
clothmama wrote::surrender: Mummy fail :help: ! I thought I'd try some 'sensory play' (I keep seeing stuff on blogs and what not!) so got out some rice and put it in a baking tray with hidden things. He loved running his hands in it then discovered the awesome sound it made if he through it on the tile floor from his highchair :doh: I tried to get him to stop and play how I wanted to no avail so I took it off him - I need to plan these things better :hohoho: :hohoho: perhaps in the garden would be fab :hohoho: I'm glad I've got my little cordless vacuum :giggle:

He 'helped' me vacuum and had a bit of a look at some of his toys and we tried (yet again!) to get him on and enjoying his Wheelybug (nope doesn't like it - only playing with the antennas!).
He is currently eating an apple and reading a book - was cross and throwing the bits I was giving him on the floor but then pointing for more :doh: what he actually wanted was the whole apple so is now happily munching on that!

I need ideas, I can't remember what I did with the others - I don’t' think either was quite as demanding as this one - I remember them being quite happy just pottering around! The only other activity we do is drawing but that only lasts a couple of minutes really and I tried to make playdoh which was fine when I made it and it said to cling wrap it to store which I did and when I opened it it has gone all runny :-? so I guess I need to make another batch!

Once the grass drys off a little more we'll go out there!

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: What are you doing with your baby / toddler today?

Postby LynniferT » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:40 am

Do you have a water table or sand tray outside? Ds3 used to play with his to death (mainly water) he used to water the entire garden and himself but he had so much fun :hohoho:

Pasta rather than rice with pots and pans to 'mix' with? This was best done on the floor from memory.

Cornflour goop was popular at playgroup but i never did that a home...not brave enough :giggle:

T isnt really old enough for anything yet but i am trying to find a structured toddler group to go to where he can do crafting stuff...our old one closed down :(

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:56 am

A sand/water table is a great idea, I need to get the garden sorted with activities. I'm thinking of trying to make some sort of activity wall too.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Ben's absolute best thing, and what I do with him if I have him to myself with no other pressures, is walking. He just loves to charge off picking up sticks, saying hello to passing dogs, splashing in puddles etc. But he's almost two so pretty confident on his feet.

He also loves to 'wash up'. He stands at the sink on a stool and pours water from one cup to another.

Rice play is good fun, but yes gotta be prepared for the mess!finger paint ditto!

He likes to join up brio track with help, brum cars around. He colours and does play doh.

I also have a music class I take him too and sometimes a play group.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 pm

For sensory play at that age is recommend a small paddling pool or builders tray and let him sit in it! Maybe a large rug/sheet underneath to help catch all the bits.
A basket of bits can keep some entertained. I had one just a few weeks younger than Remy here today and she loves taking things in and out so in the basket today were different bowls and random objects. She was quite happy taking them in and out.
I keep playdough in a plastic tub and keeps for ages, but my youngest isn't bothered at the moment.

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Have you got a tuff spot or and old crate?
I used to fill it with the thing if the day (sand, shavings, pine cones, jelly, custard, etc) and plonk j in it.

Or use the bath!

A dark cave with lights was always good for quite a while (Percy lives this too)

Gel based food colourings are good for colouring pasta/rice. J was less likely to drop the 'magic' coloured stuff.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:53 am

Yesterday I made a pom pom and pipecleaner posting box - I probably got about 3 minutes from it which is quite good for him :giggle: he did however play with the pom poms all day though!

Return to Baby and Toddler