hf1

Argh! Ending co-sleeping

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Argh! Ending co-sleeping

Postby epsilon1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:29 am

How do I get the baby to sleep in her cot in my room rather than in bed with me?

I wouldn't mind, but she fell out at 3 this morning, having slept since 11... and it isn't safe to leave her there if she has a lie-in after a broken night either.

She sleeps much less well by herself :evil:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Argh! Ending co-sleeping

Postby littlesez » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:02 am

If she sleeps better with you I would just keep her with you. Sorry not what you want to hear ! Push the bed up to the wall ? Leon used to crawl out the bottom edge so we put a mattress on the floor

Or put a cot next to your bed with one side off ?

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:00 pm

I'd go with the cot next to the bed too, best of both worlds then.

Or get a pool noodle and put it under a fitted sheet to keep her from falling?

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:46 pm

I don't really want to continue an arrangement that includes a risk of her falling out of bed and onto her head onto the floor! What would the coroner say, etc, and the cot's quite big (converts into a toddler bed) which means not much scope for rearranging the room either :-? at 11 months, she's mobile enough to wriggle/roll off the bed short of a guard rail thing I think (but she's not competent to climb on or off the bed herself safely). The only thing I could really do is use the back bedroom (bed against wall), but it's a bit damp/mouldy in there, which is also sub-optimal, and means she wouldn't spend any of the night in her cot.

It might be something to do with her being off-colour (nothing serious) since she always seems to sleep less well, when she's under the weather.

What age can she start having proper bed clothes? She seems to quite like snuggling up to pillows, which I currently remove her from once she's asleep.

I will admit we've had a couple of grim nights lately (Fri and last night) when she woke up, I fed her, she puked quite thoroughly over me / the bed clothes, and then started sitting up and wanting to play with stuff on the bedside table, so I took her downstairs (something I never did with Junior) for a while until she got sleepy again.

The really annoying thing is that I think with enough bed space she might sleep really well, but as it is she wriggles about until she either encounters an obstacle, or the edge of the bed :roll:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Ive only succeeded getting babies out of bed when it's gotten to the point where I know it doesn't work, eg they are too big and even if they sleep, I don't, or I've been pregnant or they fall out. The trick isn't simple, it's just not bringing them in the bed, cuddling until asleep then leaving them in the cot. Putting them in a toddler bed that I can lie beside to settle them etc. For mine it's been age 2ish, so different kettle of fish really. Maybe some sort of padding on the floor in case they fall out? My boys fell out a lot but very little harm falling onto carpet!!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:24 pm

I had Lachlan in his cot with the side off (it wasn't a cot bed) and tethered to our bed making a kind of co-sleeper bed. Once he was 1 I put the side back on but kept it next to me and gradually moved it away and then into the room he now shares with Ewan.

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:58 am

We did the cold turkey and prepared for some horrendous nights. The first night she was in an absolute rage and it took two hours to get her to go to sleep and then she slept for 20 minutes. The pattern continued all night. The second night was better and the third night was even better and she hasn't been in our bed since.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:53 am

Coroner ? Is death or serious injury a real risk? I just put cushions and matresses down and they were safe then.

The other thing you could do would be settle in your bed until fast asleep then transfer to the cot. Izzy was fine with that, leon would wake up and scream :roll: worth a try though.

I really like no cry sleep solution book, again izzy was fine with it. leon, well he's just Leon! He still sleeps with me age 3

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:21 am

littlesez wrote:Coroner ? Is death or serious injury a real risk?

How could it not be?

Anyway, she was back in her cot last night, so maybe it was a sickness thing rather than a new phase (thank goodness). Up several times, but I got her asleep and back in each time, and I'm trying to use the chair rather than the bed to sit up with her, which is probably better for my back.

No Cry etc doesn't have much to say on the issue, that I can find.

No issue with co-sleeping per se, but it doesn't suit me very well.

Return to Baby and Toddler